Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

No

2. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Gotcha! Good luck w your project.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Note to yourself, in the future at least peruse the thread enough to have an idea what is going on before posting a comment! :confused:

4. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Not a comment, a question: I see a “nitro racing lessons” thread on the HAMB, left field for sure- wondering what the goal of this project is. I’ll head over to some nitro racing forums and shut up. Apologies, carry on.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. rlsteel

rlsteel

Dawsons demon 30 years ago

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. rlsteel

rlsteel

7. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Proud American, 1975- what are we doing here?

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I remember that. Run that track, kinda miss it.

9. I saw the Demon run several times at different tracks. It was a iron 392 on a big load. Always entertaining. The fire burned the car to the ground. The remains still exist. They keep saying it might be rebuilt.
    The video is a perfect example why im so crazy about my fire safety. Nitro is no joke.

10. 20220115_170644.jpg Getting some things done on a cold day. My buddie Roger Lechtenburg dropped off the freshly machined heads Thursday. I put them together by the fireplace today.
    Over the off season i upgraded the bellhousing to a Browell. Its been upgraded with a right sided starter pocket and a relief to get at the converter bolts. It has a fresh recert and is ready to go. The 360 degree protection is way better than the open bottom Bruno unit.
    With the huge bolt together aluminum converter the more square shaped browell fits better. The Bruno tapers alot in the back creating clearance issues. Stay warm everyone. 20220115_165421.jpg 20220115_170516.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    RustyDogg, enloe, Stogy and 12 others like this.
  11. I picked up the block from the machine shop. The align bore was checked do to the welding. It checked out perfect. The two new sleeves were finish honed and the other six were lightly hit for a new cross hatch.
    When the cam broke it screwed up the cam bearing bores on 4 and 5. I brought it to tnt in gurnee Illinois. They have the special boring tools to machine the cam bores oversize. Bearings were purchased. 020 over. It wont be long before it goes back together. Like a shark move forward or die.

12. andyapplegate

andyapplegate

image.png Hard to believe it's been that long since the demon burned

13. andyapplegate

andyapplegate

Brian, I admire all the work you have invested in to making your car work on the street and strip. Very very impressive stuff!! Keep it up, Andy

14. I had thoughts of painting my car like the Demon. I had a Hot Wheels car that was black and flamed as a little kid. I thought that was the perfect look for a old coupe and still do. The white to yellow fading to orange is the way i like a flamed job.

15. Nicholas Coe

Nicholas Coe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be gorgeous as a black car with the above mentioned flames. It would be something out of nightmares! Then again, your car is scary enough now....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  16. The next time the car is painted it most likely will be done that way.

17. rlsteel

rlsteel

I watched Jerry Dawson and crew go 198 on the old gateway track when no one else could get down the track. I believe the motor was out of Jerry,s 1970 top fuel car. great fun to watch. RLS

18. To say the Demon had a huge influence on me is a understatement. A blown nitro hemi coupe thats painted black with flames. Thats the perfect
    recipe for a real hot rod in my book.
    There were a few other cars that had a big impact on me. All midwest local cars.
    Nitro Neil Bisiglia with the foot hill flyer nitro comp coupe.
    Mike fraziers nitro coupe chicago fire.
    Tom Motries Drastic Plastic nitro coupe.
    These cars changed my life.

19. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

I was there the day the Demon exploded, it was heart breaking to say the least.

20. andyapplegate

andyapplegate

If I remember correctly, it was a left hand steering. And I agree, all hot rod flames start out white!!

mad mikey, Nicholas Coe and racer-x like this.
  21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

It looks fantastic the way it is!

I am thinking of using a similar green on my 1934 Dodge. Then some cheese cloth and pin striping. I want it to look bright and pop! My hemi is much smaller than yours, so I will be trying to achieve a much slower good looking build.... But first things first, I am trying to find front fender brackets... tough to find. I may have the rest of it other than a hood ornament/radiator cap. (My 1934 Plymouth is a car, the Dodge is a truck).

Your car amazes me...

22. A little football and a fire plus a whole lot of polishing in the family room. 20220123_165729.jpg The entire induction came apart for inspection and cleaning. New o rings will go into the manifold they a old and flat. Its a good way to spend a cold wisconsin afternoon. I like shiny things

mad mikey, enloe, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^ Nice, but why not a pic of the SF v GB game;)

Beautiful room and I’ll assume house you have.

24. The pack played Saturday.
    Moving parts into the house helps with the boredom that comes with polishing parts. My wife doesn't care. She is cool.

25. I remember a buddy of mine, used to do the same; bring some pieces in to the house to polish while watching TV with his wife.

mad mikey, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  26. now if I could only get my wife onboard with helping polish all this stuff.

mad mikey, seb fontana, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Just be thankful she is OK with you bringing them in to polish.

28. as long as the parts don't smell like brake cleaner or leak oil she is good with doing things in the house. I have most of the engine in a extra room. I pull out parts one at a time and clean them up. its a major operation going through all of this stuff. there is so much polished aluminum and magnesium that needs attention. its all worth it when its all clean and back in the car. it kind of reminds me of the hurst cars or ivos cars. cars that could be just show cars but also race.

29. Todays nitro fun manifold maintenance. A inspection and measurement of the burst panel for stretching was followed by a o-ring change. When the o-rings feel and look flat and are no longer above the deck its time for replacement. The blower studs were checked out. They are aluminum and are somewhat fragile. If the engine should backfire the studs are designed to break letting the pressure escape saving the manifold. The nozzles are inspected for obstructions. The o-ring and gasket on the top of the manifold will be replaced. 20220125_161257.jpg 20220125_161309.jpg 20220125_162444.jpg 20220125_162625.jpg

Budget36, mad mikey, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  30. @racer-x , I’m beginning to think you feel the need, the need, for speed.