Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. The compression is 8.2 with 25 lbs of boost.
    Tony i only removed .005 from the deck. I don't need to machine the intake. I run o-rings on the intake side. The manifold has slotted holes to allow for different combinations. The late model hemi parts are different from the first gen parts.

2. Time for lunch. I should have most of it back together before I go to bed. 20210312_155054.jpg

3. 20210312_190826.jpg A little while later its starting to look like something. The shop is a little messy but who cares the hemi is in the chassis. 20210312_190342.jpg

4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Looking good Brian I just finished up the maintenance on my afx getting it prepped for racing this year I’m in need of some proper throttle therapy lol

Chrome don’t get ya home

enloe, Gammz, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  5. The timing is set.
    Valves set
    Pre oiled
    Battery charged
    I just need to make one final fire bottle line then the zoomies can go on. I upgraded from aluminum to stainless lines for safety. I will be street driving it very soon. The car will go south for some testing. 20210321_175130.jpg

6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I might have asked already but if I did I forgot the answer.
    Are you coming to Bowling Green in June?

loudbang likes this.
  7. I don't think so. I will be competing in the summit midwest drags the week before. That will be eight passes and a thousand miles. I need to do some maintenance after that. Then its on to the out of site drags also in June at great lakes. You should come for that. Its a fantastic event.

Stogy, wicarnut, Runnin shine and 4 others like this.
  8. i fired the big hemi on gas. i must have put it together right as it fired right up without any issues. so now i will dump the oil and clean the filter. the pan will come off for a good cleaning. there is always some metal in the oil after a complete rebuild. it also allows a chance to inspect everything. the valve covers will come off for a head retorque and valve adjustment. after the engine runs the first time things settle into place. the valve springs will be pressure tested on the heads. the pressures will be recorded in a log book for future reference. i will also leak the cylinders and record those as well. the engine was fired multiple times so the trams fluid level could be set. the bruno has to have the engine running as the fluid level is checked. the pressure on the gauge was reading a steady 150 lbs so thats all set. it might fit the streets next week for a shake down. mainanance is key on a engine like this.

9. Do you use any break in additives or special oil or just the same stuff as always for the first start? Lots of opinions over internet around this topic, rings seating better with mineral oil not synthetic etc.

What is Brians way to do it?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Chucky like this.
  10. I just pore in some Lucas 50 wt and fire it up on gas. I check the bruno level while its running. After a few start ups running a total of maybe ten minutes I dump the oil. The filter gets cleaned. The pan comes off to be cleaned. The rods and mains get another pull with the torque wrench. The valve covers come off. The heads are retorqued. The lash is reset. New oil goes in and its ready to go. You would be surprised at how much is in a pan and filter on a new start up no matter how careful you are at assemble. As the engine runs and parts settle in place there are all kinds of shavings of piston skirt and bearing material. Shiny metal from the bores is also present. We don't take chances. Then I fire it on nitro. Either these engines are right or wrong. There is no break in period.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  11. The car was taken out for some street driving today. All went well. After I got home it was fired on nitro. That went great also. Headed with the car to jefferson swap meet Thursday morning. Stop by for a few nitro fire ups.

12. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey Brian happy 426 day

IMG_1604.JPG

Not as kool as yours but it runs real well now

Chrome don’t get ya home

13. great to hear its running good. i hope you bring it back up to the grove in june.

14. Registration opened to those that had registered for drag week 2020. I'm in. Watch for dates and times for the open restistraration to start.

Stogy, Chucky, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  15. Looks like you'll have Nitro company this year with Baileys Nomad...

16. my son called me last night and gave me the news. the more nitro cars the better. tom is a good guy and i wish him the best.

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I read an email from Hot Rod today and it said the plan is gas for the street, Methanol for the track, and Nitro for cackle.
    It takes a lot of commitment to roll like the Street Fuel Coupe crazy man.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  18. Well he has the right guy building it ( Dennis Taylor) so that helps his cause right off the bat. Doesn't hurt to have a nice size bank roll and some sponsorship also. Should be interesting and fun to follow along as we have with Brian.

19. I'm not cackling there is a big difference.

20. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Agreed. Not to diminish Baily's effort, but racing on nitro is a whole different ballgame than cackling. The stress on the engine, the wear and tear, and the risk to parts is incredible. And so is the sound and the power.

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  21. It will be a lot harder to run a bbc on nitro. A hemis exhaust valve is tipped and placed right over the exhaust port. After a nitro engine is shut off nitro can dribble out of the nozzle and lines forming a puddle on the piston. This needs to be removed. Its done by turning the engine over backward by hand. The exhaust valve opens and the piston pushes the fuel out into the port. Its perfect on a hemi. The bbc has to have the spark plugs pulled to do the job right. This takes time. The other draw back is the bbc can't run two plugs per cylinder. The heni can have a plug for gas and a plug for nitro. Two different ignition timings can be run. Nitro needs 45-55 degrees of lead. If not given that early timing alot of hp is left on the table. Bbc are good engines they just don't make for a great nitro engine. It will be interesting to follow his build. He is a smart guy. I wish him the best.

22. Well the converter finally showed up. I shipped it last December for repairs and it was lost in the mail for a few months. The advantage of the bolt together are many. It can come apart for inspection or cleaning. The stator can be changed for a different launch. And last but not least it's significantly lighter than my steel welded together Pro Touque. A o-ring seals it up. The bolts holding it together are ARP rod bolts. 20210514_102608.jpg 20210514_102556.jpg All this coolness doesn't come cheap. That's why I work alot of overtime.

23. Yep that looks pretty.......expensive ! :D

24. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

I just jumped onto this late- you are going to run a relevant load of nitro with a converter??

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. I have been doing it for years. Read the whole thread. You will see the progression. It's not for everyone but it works for me.

26. Looks like a pretty high tech converter. Am I right , thinking that you can adjust-change stall to what you desire, for track conditions, tune , and how much power you are putting down?

27. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

What pump (gpm) and % if u don’t mind??

Nozzle area?

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  28. Exactly the stators control the stall and how tight it is in high gear.
    The pump is a dual spur gear enderle 24 gallon pump. I run a 20 nozzle system. Idles off four in the blower and 8 port nozzles. At the hit 8 more come on set at 15lbs. For a general tune up with 45 degrees of lead the main jet is 115 with 70 percent. With 50 degrees and 80 percent the main jet is 106 and the idle bypass is turned around so it doesn't work.

mad mikey, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

How much (gpm) at the hit, total nozzle area? I am very interested in anyone trying to make significant (80% plus) nitro load work with a converter. How has it run thus far?
    Adams couldn’t make it work, I wanna see someone consistently do it with a real load.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Brian has been making it work.

It’s a long thread, but go back to post #1 and read it all to see how far he’s gone.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j hansen, Woogeroo, Stogy and 5 others like this.