Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Looks like time for two shift lights and two tachs? Has that been done before

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe likes this.
  2. I don't want the extra weight or clutter inside the car.
    I spoke to my electrical engineer friend about my set up. He feels it will work if I move the signal input wire from the efi coil negative side to the tach output wire at the msd spark box. The directions say I can use either one. He brought up a good point saying the msd coil fires multiple times at each ignition sequence therefore the signal wont be accurate. That's why the msd boxes have a seperate tach output. He also said the way I have it wired the shift lite will work on both ignition systems.
    I spoke to squirrel last night about all of this for input. He suggested a three pole switch to flip back and fourth. That's a good idea I might use if moving the wire to the tach output doesn't work. It's kind of busy in the car starting it up with everything I need to do. I don't want to add more things to do.
    The fun of the learning curve when your trying something new.
    That's real hot rodding and that makes it fun.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I thought about the MSD while we were talking, and forgot to ask you if that's what you're using...definitely want to use the tach output on the MSD box, not the coil wire! It will probably work without a switch doing it that way.

4. The last piece of the puzzle showed up today. That being the new radiator. I will mount it on Saturday. It will then be ready for the street. I will practice social distancing with any car that wants to race. I can see it now. Officer I was just practicing social distancing I wasn't racing. 20200428_170923.jpg 20200428_171002.jpg

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Would you say the car is faster in “street trim” these days then it was before the crash, when it was orange and had a grill shell? Soooooooo many changes since then after all.
    I don’t think you’ve ever alluded to it’s EFI/gas performance as its focus is Nitro. The car has certainly a fair amount of go fast goodies most street cars only dream about nitro or not.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. It went in the nines with the old engine. That was on street tires with the mufflers on. I haven't run the car on gas with the new engine. I'm sure if it hooked it would go low nines. It goes good on gas for a engine that's built all wrong for that fuel.

7. Motor_Psycho

Motor_Psycho

I hear that, the first time you sit in a car running on nitro everything changes. The car comes alive in a totally different way, power courses through the frame, you're part of it, it runs through your body.

8. 20200503_183101.jpg 20200503_183101.jpg It sounded like a easy thing to do mounting the new radiator. The old radiator cracked. We think it was mounted too rigidly or unable to move a little when it gets hot and expands. The new design allows it to float on soft rubber.

Mounts were drawn on paper to get the correct dimensions before metal went in the brake. After cutting and bending they went into the plasma cutter. I have only seen hand held plasma cutters. It was cool to see this one in operation. A picture was drawn on paper. The machine sees this image and cuts it automatically. The lightening holes make them look better and save weight.
    It was tricky getting the radiator in the exact place I needed it. I used the pre existing sheet metal that goes around the fans to get it just right. The rear mounts could be tig welded. There was no room to get the uppers like that. Those were hit with the mig welder from below. The bottom mounts are like hooks. The radiator slides down into the padded mounts. They are very strong and under acceleration support the radiator. The top mounts have a nut welded underneath so I can remove the radiator myself. If I didn't take this extra step it would take another person working from under the car. The bolts are tightened down pushing the padded aluminum plate to hold it all in place. The upper mounts also keep it from moving side to side.
    While parts were waiting to cool I saw that the anti roll bar bushings had moved out ward. There are collars to hold them in place. After the parts were chromed they must have been put back on the opposite side of the mount. It's a good thing I took it all apart. The bushings were stuck on the bar. Dirt got in there causing a bind. Everything came apart and was cleaned. The links with heim joints were stuck. Those were also cleaned and lubed. They now spin with my fingers. View attachment 4670988 20200502_123726.jpg 20200503_183043.jpg 20200503_183051.jpg This project took the better part of eight hours. I just need a new fitting for the radiator and a new catch can and it will be ready.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    chryslerfan55, OFT, enloe and 7 others like this.
  9. Nicholas Coe

Nicholas Coe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tontitown

Nice clean work. I've been watching some of your old videos. I can't wait to see run again. Awesome car. Keep us updated!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Thanks. Very soon my friend.

11. Now that the weather is getting better around here it's time to do some pr type things. Flitz metal polish asked me to bring the car out to shoot some infomercials. We have been working together lately. It's easy to do as I believe in their products. In return they take care of the cars product needs. It's a good relationship. The company CEO and marketing executive were on scene adding a little stress to the shoot. When I got home I filled the tank with nitro as we plan on a nitro fire up Saturday. 2649.jpeg 2647.jpeg

12. Nicholas Coe

Nicholas Coe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tontitown

Wow! At least someone around here is famous.

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  13. impala4speed

impala4speed

That's pretty cool Brian.

chryslerfan55, enloe, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  14. I use alot of flitz to maintain the wheels and all the other shiny parts. It adds up over the year. I also use one of their products on the paint. It makes the car look like its plugged into a 220 outlet. Their micro fiber towels are 400 as compared to auto parts store towels that are only 200. It makes a huge difference when polishing.
    The old saying is true you get what you pay for.
    Using the code at check out 3132 gives you a 20 percent discount on all orders from the flitz web site.

15. Nicholas Coe

Nicholas Coe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tontitown

Thanks! Flitz is a great product.

16. You guys have made it clear you like tech posts. Buckle up for a lesson on high end shock technology.
    The final piece of the puzzle showed up today. That being new QA-1 mod shocks. This new patented technology shock is like no other on the market. Its design allows for double adjustments like most race shocks. It also has changeable tuning discs. A double adjustable shock is made with a specific window of adjustment. When that adjustment is maxed out they need to be removed from the car and sent back to whoever made them to be revalved.

The new QA-1 mod shocks have three interchangeable tuning discs that can revalve the shock without having to take it off the car. They come soft; medium and firm. They can be mixed and matched to suit your cars needs.
    The QA-1 double adjustable shocks I had on the car last season worked great until I started to go into the sevens. I had both adjusters maxed out. The shocks were being over powered. I sent them in to be revalved in the off season. They were put on a shock dyno to see were they were at before and after revalving. The numbers for the compression were good and the rebound was not going to work. I spoke to my friend who sets up alot of very fast cars. He said congrats you have exceeded the limits of a mid range shock. A car with your horsepower needs a top shelf shock.
    I have been very happy with my QA-1s for years so I started to explore what they have to offer. The pro series Mod Shock seemed like the logical choice. I spoke with their tech guys at the pri show and the chicago show. As always they were very helpful in getting the right parts for my application.
    So here's how it all works here we go.
    Coil springs 130 lbs.
    Ride height 15 inches eye to eye
    Full extension 17 inches
    Rebound 500-600 lbs 5"/per sec
    8-9/10" per sec
    Compression
    200-300 5" per sec
    Looking at the chart supplied with the shocks I need the medium valve for compression set at 14 clicks and a firm rebound valve set at 10 clicks. It's very simple if the charts are followed. Fine tuning can then be made at the track.
    For a street/drag car this shock design is perfect. I can run on the street with a soft valve setting for a comfortable ride. At the track I can switch over to the race valve setting in just a few minutes. It's the best of both worlds without having to carry several sets of purpose valved shocks.
    Controlling the power at the hit is everything for low sixty foot times. My best time was 1.14 last year. While fast after watching videos of the launch I could see alot was being left on the table. It's quite possible now to hit a 1.0 sixty or faster after the shocks are tuned. Controlling the wheel speed and allowing the car to get up on the tire is critical. Most guys think if the car dead hooks it will make its fastest pass. The reality is the fastest pass a car will ever make it will spin the tire for a few revolutions with a very slight haze coming off it. I'm making plenty of power now I have what I need to control it. 20200514_163956.jpg 20200514_171121.jpg 20200514_171039.jpg 20200514_164027.jpg 20200514_171106.jpg 20200514_171019.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  17. A few minutes later. Ready for action. 20200514_192427.jpg

18. Put the 2020 stickers on the plate before going for the first cruise. You know they just look for any reason to pull you over.

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I believe wheel speed is your friend in a high hp situation. It has to get Up on the tire to march. If not tire shake will develop. Of course I could be speaking of a bigger tire like a 17x36 lol. Same principle though with any slick on a light car. Of course the track has a lot to do with it. JMO Lippy

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  20. Wowzee those shocks should get the job done. Thinking how long coil overs have been avail it's pretty amazing they still can develop and find new ways doing things.

I saw a study many moons ago where was said that 2% wheel spin provides fastest ET's

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Why is the wheel slip desirable? Is it allowing the engine to get higher in its torque output before the car starts moving?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. wheel slip keeps the tire from wadding up on itself. If the tire just sticks to the track as the car moves forward the flex of the sidewall allows the tire to start driving over itself. eventually the tire runs out of side wall and tread to run over. The tire is always trying to return to a round natural shape. the result is very violent tire shake. this can be very bad. it can break welds and suspension components; motor mounts etc. I shook the tires bad and all the converter bolts backed out. if I ever shake the tires before another pass happens a complete frame and bolt check happens. on faster cars the shocks become a invaluable tuning aid. when you have 300 hp you have 300 hp problems. when you have 2500 hp you have 2500 hp problems. things multiple real fast.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    raven, enloe, kidcampbell71 and 7 others like this.
  23. Exactly. The more HP you have to attempt to put to the track the more fine tuning and adjustments need to be made. Many other factors come into play. Track conditions , temperatures , and more. It is a tuning ballet .

enloe, Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  24. It is. Now I have the shocks to make adjustments as needed. As high tech as these shocks are a simple tire pressure adjustment can do wonders. Adding air can reduce the grip allowing the tire to spin a bit off the line. I like to run the most pressure I can get away with. I set mine 12.75-13 lbs. Equal on both sides.

25. loudbang

loudbang

Good lesson by our Professor of fast cars. :)

26. There was a somewhat organized cruise on the south side of milwaukee today. There were quite a few cars out. Today was the first day driving the car this season. Things went well. Adjustments will be made sunday. If you know Milwaukee Leon's needs no introduction. 20200516_172940.jpg

27. squirrel

squirrel

Drives OK with the spool?

Sent from my Trimline

enloe and loudbang like this.
  28. I hardly knew it was there. I only noticed the tires grabbing on slow tight turns. I can live with it.

enloe, chryslerfan55, Gammz and 4 others like this.
  29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That's cause your a true gearhead. Spools never bothered me at all on the street. LOL:D

raven, enloe, Gammz and 3 others like this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Don't know how it ran, but do know it sure looks GOOD!!!!!

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.