Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Looks like I'm going to have to get more creative than I thought.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. Have you seen this battery cable? It feels like a piece of rope its super super lite. I have it on the Skairlane works great. I also run a lithium battery its 6.4 pounds. Been running it 3 years with no issues. My car is 15:1 compression wings it rite over. I put it to the test also I very rarely prime it to start it. Screenshot_20191103-201351_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg Screenshot_20191103-201701_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Thanks. I will be looking into that. I will also see if they are at the upcoming pri show.

4. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Brian, it looks like you will need either a two pole cut off switch, or a separate cutoff switch hooked up to the same linkage to ground the magneto

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

“Switch must be installed on the rearmost part” sounds clear, but then “rods or cables used to activate the switch” seems to allow for the switch itself to be mounted elsewhere, as long as the switch handle is accessible and there is an 1/8” rod or cable.

Is there someone who can clarify this rule?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. I will be calling nhra and jim at the chassis shop.
    I have never ever had a tech inspector even look at my kill switch.

Stogy, loudbang and David Gersic like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

The tech inspector at the track you're trying to race at, is who gets to interpret the rule. Do you play it safe, or come up with a good line for him?

Stogy, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Only the control for the switch needs to be at the rear of the car. So they know where to go to shut it off. Nobody cares where the actual electrical component is located. Many cars use a rod or a morse cable to operate the switch.

Stogy, loudbang and David Gersic like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

well that's good to know.

English is difficult.

Stogy, milwscruffy and loudbang like this.
  10. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Examples like this abound in the rules. You'd think they could be more concise.

11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Here is how I do mine. The lithium battery is on the inside of the frame rail by the transmission. The cutoff switch is under the driver side floor, so I can operate it from inside the cockpit if need be. The 5\16 x 16 ga 304 stainless tube weighs 1 pound and operates it fine. There is only a couple feet of cable total. This set up spins the 13.5 to 1 Hemi over like the plugs were out of it.

push off.jpg

Attached Files:

Tim, Stogy, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  12. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

You guys think this is vague you should see a rule book for land speed racing the only way to get an actual answer is to ask the scta so if there is any question just ask it’s better to know before showing up to race and it becomes an issue for us land speed racers we have to keep a log book and any things that have been approved in writing has to be included in our log book in case someone protests then there is no question of interpretation I personally do not see any issue with a linkage rod to the switch on our land speed car we had to have two shut off switches as we had two electrical systems in it a 12v system and a 16v system we also had two batteries obviously weight was not an issue however weight placement was

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, mad mikey, racer-x and 3 others like this.
  13. I will play it safe for sure. I will also have a good line ready to go just in case I get that inspector. A call to nhra I hope helps.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

15. catdad49

catdad49
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, did you get it?!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. That is the mopar performance knock off. It is not the poster I sold at the track. I still have a few originals left. They are easy to spot mine as they have a Belle Dodge dealer plate on the front bumper. I'm at pri and the show is great like always. I haven't posted much lately because I have been working a crazy amount of overtime. The racing bills need to get paid. That doesn't mean alot of work isn't being done. We are in good shape for next season.
    Keep a eye out for Nitro Madness magazine next month.

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

They wanted thirty large. I really want it for the garage and may go back but I had already spent too much that day shopping for others. I was just passing time when I saw this madman Brian famous shot.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Fordors

Fordors

B5BF5157-B81A-4169-B654-0C67C802153D.jpeg A5893FCB-D54C-4C4C-BC0D-54FAAA9FA46F.jpeg

I can’t recall what track I was at when I got this 8x10 hero card but it’s been a few years now, that’s for sure. Might have been Rt. 66 Drag Strip in Joliet, IL.

19. squirrel

squirrel

Hanging on the wall in the kitchen. IMG_20191212_203507733.jpeg

Sent from my Trimline

OFT, chryslerfan55, hendelec and 9 others like this.
  20. Jim has the real deal. He drove thousands of miles to get one in person. I always signed them in the area of the flames as shown. The originals also had the ram smashing the sfx-1 logo. This logo was the same as seen on the gen 3 t- shirt design. Highlighter graphics logo is also present.
    Highlighter graphics made the posters hero cards and a set of four baseball cards.i have thousands of hand out cards left still sealed in plastic and a hundred or so sets of baseball cards left.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  21. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

Didn't know you knew Don Francis, great guy!

22. Don lives 10 minutes from me. On occasion he went to the track to help out. Word on the street is he plans on renting the grove this spring to test his out of site funny car.

23. With my son home for the holidays from the big D we decided to start putting the hemi back together. There is nothing like good family fun time in the shop passing on the knowledge to put together a nitro hemi. 20191231_171744.jpg

24. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Looks like a fun News Years Eve! I hope you have a happy, healthy and prosperous 2020!

enloe, racer-x, hendelec and 2 others like this.
  25. Same to you Joel. Looks like 2020 will be your year to get back to having fun again. The hamb community is glad to know your on the mend.

enloe, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D And from me too.Wishing you and yours a healthy,happy,safe and prosperous New Year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. Happy New Year Brian. Nice that your son jumped right in to help on the nitro hemi.

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  28. Thanks guys. Happy new year. My son has been around this nitro hemi stuff all his life. It sparked a interest in cars early on. He is now a engineer working at Chrysler. When his schedule permits he comes to the track or we do other fun car stuff. The times spent in the shop together are the most fun and priceless. It sucks he lives so far away now. He is in the place he needs to be so we try to make the most of it while we can.

29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Brian,
    You could fix that and move to Michigan.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Then I would be twice as far from my daughter. She works at mayo hospital in the cicu while in school for her dnp degree. That's a doctorate in nursing. I always have a good time visiting the detroit area. There's alot to see and do. My son and I also worked on the three wheelers. We want to take them on Michigan's trails.