Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. You did it, great news. Always nice to go off season with success rather than dissapointing last pass. I'm happy for you!

2. Sounds great with ear buds.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

4. I use bear claw latches. I have pins in place to secure the doors but I don't use them when I race for a few reasons. In the event of a crash the rescue personnel can't open the door. The windows wont break because they are lexan. It takes extra time to find and flip the knob from the inside. Time I might not have if there is a fire. I have been there done that.

j-jock, Stogy, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  5. mrunswitchable

mrunswitchable
    from Michigan

I think I found your timing system issue.

The stage beam is still blocked as he's going past the 60ft cone, which means the clock hadn't started yet. The clock starting late explains the missing 60ft time and the other ET's being so low. The MPH's are the only parts of that time slip that are going to be accurate, since those are clocked independently.

20191009_065733.png

6. Not the case. The time slip has a reaction time and the tree has a green light showing the clock started. The times would not make any sense if they started that far down track. The car can't cover 330 feet that fast 1.14 even with a head start. The 60 foot shown on the slip is very close to previous runs. My fastest leading up to this pass was 1.15. The next set of photo cells is at 330 feet. That et is close to matching my previous fastest pass. Looking at past et slips the times make sense. They are just shifted one spot the way it was printed. Several other cars that ran after me experienced the same thing. The car felt way faster than normal on this pass. The video shows a nice clean pass without having to lift. Previous fast passes had me sliding around having to lift or shutting off early. This one was full power to the finish line. My burned off electrodes and pinched rings say it was on a hell of a pass. Those things don't happen on slow passes.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  7. mrunswitchable

mrunswitchable
    from Michigan

The green light is not attached to the ET clock in any way. ET is measured from the stage light turning off to when the finish line beam is broken and reaction time is how long after the green light that the stage light turned off. The green light turning on is only showing that the tree activated and that "a fair start was accomplished," as the rulebook words it. Judging by the slip, I would say that the clock started when you were somewhere around 150-200ft down the track. I also took Squirrel's idea and timed the video- car left the line at 28.45 and got to the finish at or around 36.00 (it's a bit difficult to tell where exactly the finish line is).

All that being said, having the car in the ballpark of 7.50 is still a good step forward; I'm glad to see the progress you've made this year, especially after getting rid of the suspension gremlins!

8. So far so good. While nothing has been cleaned up yet there doesn't appear to any damage. The deck on the block and heads look good. The gaskets look like new. There are no signs of piston damage yet. Once the pistons are out I can access the rings and ring grooves. The other possibility to the high percentage of leak could be bits of metal and porcelain on some valves.
    With the forecast calling for snow friday night all the fluids on the car were drained today. The trailer was prepped for freezing temps also. I'm getting a jump on next year. 20191009_173311.jpg 20191009_173321.jpg 20191009_173332.jpg 20191009_173335.jpg

j-jock, enloe, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  9. Nick I see what you are saying. To add that much et to the 5.52 doesn't add up right. I think it ran a high six. The world will have to wait until next season to try to back it up.
    You and i can always settle this at the auto ramma on the practice tree.

10. Great Pass Brian !!
    Glad to see this thing coming around...

loudbang, Hemi Joel, enloe and 2 others like this.
  11. Thanks dave.

loudbang, enloe and Stogy like this.
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I was shocked that the car weighs over 2,700#s. Guess it’s time to get that front axle drilled like old one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Hemi Joel and enloe like this.
  13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I wasn't shocked at the weight because of the dual purpose nature. It has to have all of the safety stuff, the elaborate roll cage, the fire suppression system, the parachutes the wheelie bars, plus the big fuel tanks for nitro and gasoline. Two complete fuel systems, a big blower and drive, 2 complete ignition systems, wiring for Street and race functions, cooling system with radiator and electric fans in the trunk, plus an all steel body. Chrysler had very thick steel panels back then. Don't ask me how I know!

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds light for all that equipment.

loudbang, enloe and Hemi Joel like this.
  15. 20190427_160801.jpg Most of the unlimited drag week cars are 3000 plus. Keep in mind that weight is with me in the car. I'm 195lbs.

chryslerfan55, Stogy, j-jock and 5 others like this.
  16. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I would not have guessed it was over 2800lbs either......chromoly tube chassis, all aluminum hemi, no front end, magnesium spindle mounts, aluminum axle - hell, the heaviest single component is probably the dana 60! - I guess it all adds up....

17. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

On my 31 Plymouth coupe, looking at the doors for example: all of the window regulator mechanism has been removed, the glass has been replaced with lexan, the steel panel on the inside of the door, right behind where the upholstery would be has been completely cut out and a thin sheet of aluminum riveted in it's place. The doors still weigh 40 pounds each! My deck lid with all of the structure stripped out, just the skin, weighs 24 lb. That's how thick of metal they packed into these old Mopars. So think of how much the quarter panels, the cowl the roof and all of the rest of the body weighs. They are not light.

18. squirrel

squirrel

My 65 Barracuda is under 2600 (without driver), that's with the 30# each steel front fenders, the other panels are all fiberglass..no funny car cage, but it does have an iron block Hemi that weighs quite a bit.

keeping weight out of a car is difficult.

Stogy, j-jock, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE

My mentor, Joy Fair, said, "Throw it up in the air. If it comes back down, it's still too heavy!"

chryslerfan55, Stogy, j-jock and 7 others like this.
  20. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

loudbang likes this.
  21. Me and the car are going on a diet. Between the two of us I want a hundred pounds off. I run a dana with a sure grip. Changing to a spool will save alot. Changing the gas tank from steel to aluminum would also save alot. I could loose 10lbs. The rest will come in smaller forms. I think its possible.

22. mcmopar

mcmopar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Strum, wi

You could also take a shit before ya race it will save a few pounds.
    Tony

enloe and 427 sleeper like this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ron White:
    You ever take a crap so big your pants fit better?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    chryslerfan55, enloe and 427 sleeper like this.
  24. Tony that's why I eat taco bell the night before a race. Winning isn't always pretty.

25. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Too much information!:p

Stogy, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  26. The crank looks good along with the rod bearings. The second rings are pinched on cylinders 2,4,6. This was caused by the great cool dry air. I should have pulled four degrees of timing out. It detonated at the hit. The crank will get magnufluxed and polished. The rods will go back to grp for resizing. They do it for free. I have some spare pistons ready to go. I will order some more to have on hand. I have the larger nitro piston pins. Do to the detonation they will be checked for straightness. A light touch with the rabbit turd hone and a fresh set of rings and it's back together. The funny fuel causes funny things to go on inside the engine. 20191012_170145.jpg 20191012_170110.jpg

27. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

YOu can freshen that motor quicker than most of us can change a set of points...

28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

DragWeek 2020 is gonna get a great view the green machine doin it’s thing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Strum, wi

Good to here on the crank. I just got a call from Dave and my crank is getting shipped out today, getting closer. Drag Week 2020 run for some fun, see ya all there.
    Tony

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine