Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Cool, I baited you into another tech breakdown.

They say the same thing about motorcycles. You could argue loose is fast or the newfound power taxes the weakest links.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe and loudbang like this.
  2. we have been finding a lot of new found power lately. I will post some pics tonight if I have time showing how this all works.

3. 20191003_091931.jpg 20191003_092057.jpg 20191003_091817.jpg 20191003_092119.jpg I just received a few pics from the rock falls event. from were the Christmas tree is located I would say it carried the front wheels at least 100 feet . We have been getting alot of rain lately. We are going to try to run the car sunday at the grove. It looks like the only warm dry day for a while

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  4. 20191006_173501.jpg 20191006_173432.jpg 20191006_173403.jpg 20191006_173327.jpg 20191006_173140.jpg 20191006_174233.jpg With all the mag and bruno/lenco issues it was nice to lay down a killer pass going into the off season. The air was dry. The temp was 65. The lenco must have gone back together correctly. The timing was 48 degrees. Nitro was 70 percent. They had a import race going on today. Thinking the track might not hold the car I wanted to play it safe. Shortly before the pass the sun came out just in time. With a long delay do to the large car count there was no heat in the engine. I chose to grab the hand brake and lay down a long burnout past the starting line. The car hooked hard with a 1.14 60 foot. At the eighth it went 4.26. That's a six second pass all day long. I don't believe the 5 sec quarter time slip. I can have some fun with the photo and et slip. After the pass the engine was leaked down. Cylinders 2,4,6 might have the rings pinched. The leak down was 60 percent. As the tune up gets closer one side or the other can get picked on. A nozzle change increasing by 3 will fix that. The et slip is reading 5.52 at 1000 feet. That's a 6.8-6.9 quarter mile. Not too bad for a street car that pulls a trailer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Budget36, Floater03, drdave and 18 others like this.
  5. I should give credit to the official photographer of union grove my buddy Pete Ores.

6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

It's thrilling to watch and see the pics, can't imagine the thrill of driving that "HOT ROD"!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Ron Funkhouser and racer-x like this.
  7. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Great pics! that time slip does seems off 175 MPH seems way too low for that ET. I'd say to run mid 5's you'd have to be over 200MPH. Such a shame when you wait so long to make a pass and you dont really know what you ran

racer-x, loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Something funny happened with the timing system...which is a shame, it would be nice to see what it actually ran, now that the car is working right!

j-jock, racer-x, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  9. With the times it did run 6.8-6.9 is about right. The low mph is a result of the pinched rings. The car felt like it layed over the last couple hundred feet.
    It for sure didn't run in the fives. That is the 1000 foot time. I think we are getting a good handle on things.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  10. barbara

barbara
    from wisconsin

congrats Brian; the car is truly awesome...

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Brian, nice run. You are on your way. I have a friend that lives next to Rockfalls raceway, lest week trucks were hauling dirt for days, and now the shutdown area is longer, thus making it a faster track. Next year you might be able to go into the 6s there also. Stay in touch and I will see you at PRI.
    Tony

chryslerfan55, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  12. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Awesome run, Brian! I punched your 1000' e.t. into the Wallace calculator, which calculates the ideal incremental numbers for a pass based upon the number entered. This is idea for a well sorted car. Some cars do better or worse on certain incrementals. Hee is the result:
    60 Foot 0.92
    330 Foot 2.67
    660 Foot 4.20
    660 MPH 161.97
    1000 Foot 5.52
    1/4 Mile ET 6.65
    1/4 Mile MPH 199.23

So, what I gather from comparing these numbers to your timeslip, is that relative to your 1000'e.t., you were a couple tenths off in the 60', only 6 hundredths off in the eighth, and had a huge top end charge that carried you well into the sixes. Congrats!

13. Thanks joel for posting that. Those calculators are fun to look at. I don't think my 3060lb car will ever hit a.092 60 foot. It might get closer if I start using the trans brake. They also don't factor in frontal area; drag; wind; gearing etc. Thats a ideal pass. They do provide a good idea were you need to improve at different places going down track. During the off season I will be showing my time slip and your calculation chart to some experts. As the car goes faster it's harder to find ways to cut et. Maybe they will have some ideas. Things like shedding some weight here adding some gear there etc. It will be a lot of little things that will make it go 6.5. If I could have run five days of times like that on drag week I would have finished second in unlimited. Things that make you go hmmm.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Brian, my friend Dennis mentioned how close your tire is here in this pic
    IMG_9463.JPG
    I said not as close as u.s.41 last year.
    Then my adhd got in the way and I wondered what type of insurance do you have to insure your suicide doors don’t cause you to loose cabin pressure?
    And further I hope we haven’t discussed this before.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. It is close and does rub a little on the hit. Over the off season I will send the shocks back to qa 1 for revalving. I do run a stiffer spring on the right side and it helps. I also have a anti roll bar that I have been tightening up. These things have gotten us to were we are with the 60 foot. There is more work that needs to be done. It's all about how much time; money and effort do you want to put into it to get the most out.

16. squirrel

squirrel

17. squirrel

squirrel

now we're all going to be using our stopwatch on the video, to see how quick he really ran :)

18. Turn all the knobs on the sound up as far as they go. Even then it's only .000001 as loud as real life. Thanks squirrel for posting the video.

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  19. I love the way that the front wheel lift at launch is so consistent, and that you work without a net (wheelie bars).
    Bob

racer-x, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. You did it, great news. Always nice to go off season with success rather than dissapointing last pass. I'm happy for you!

21. Sounds great with ear buds.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

23. I use bear claw latches. I have pins in place to secure the doors but I don't use them when I race for a few reasons. In the event of a crash the rescue personnel can't open the door. The windows wont break because they are lexan. It takes extra time to find and flip the knob from the inside. Time I might not have if there is a fire. I have been there done that.

j-jock, Stogy, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  24. mrunswitchable

mrunswitchable
    from Michigan

I think I found your timing system issue.

The stage beam is still blocked as he's going past the 60ft cone, which means the clock hadn't started yet. The clock starting late explains the missing 60ft time and the other ET's being so low. The MPH's are the only parts of that time slip that are going to be accurate, since those are clocked independently.

20191009_065733.png

25. Not the case. The time slip has a reaction time and the tree has a green light showing the clock started. The times would not make any sense if they started that far down track. The car can't cover 330 feet that fast 1.14 even with a head start. The 60 foot shown on the slip is very close to previous runs. My fastest leading up to this pass was 1.15. The next set of photo cells is at 330 feet. That et is close to matching my previous fastest pass. Looking at past et slips the times make sense. They are just shifted one spot the way it was printed. Several other cars that ran after me experienced the same thing. The car felt way faster than normal on this pass. The video shows a nice clean pass without having to lift. Previous fast passes had me sliding around having to lift or shutting off early. This one was full power to the finish line. My burned off electrodes and pinched rings say it was on a hell of a pass. Those things don't happen on slow passes.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  26. mrunswitchable

mrunswitchable
    from Michigan

The green light is not attached to the ET clock in any way. ET is measured from the stage light turning off to when the finish line beam is broken and reaction time is how long after the green light that the stage light turned off. The green light turning on is only showing that the tree activated and that "a fair start was accomplished," as the rulebook words it. Judging by the slip, I would say that the clock started when you were somewhere around 150-200ft down the track. I also took Squirrel's idea and timed the video- car left the line at 28.45 and got to the finish at or around 36.00 (it's a bit difficult to tell where exactly the finish line is).

All that being said, having the car in the ballpark of 7.50 is still a good step forward; I'm glad to see the progress you've made this year, especially after getting rid of the suspension gremlins!

27. So far so good. While nothing has been cleaned up yet there doesn't appear to any damage. The deck on the block and heads look good. The gaskets look like new. There are no signs of piston damage yet. Once the pistons are out I can access the rings and ring grooves. The other possibility to the high percentage of leak could be bits of metal and porcelain on some valves.
    With the forecast calling for snow friday night all the fluids on the car were drained today. The trailer was prepped for freezing temps also. I'm getting a jump on next year. 20191009_173311.jpg 20191009_173321.jpg 20191009_173332.jpg 20191009_173335.jpg

j-jock, enloe, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  28. Nick I see what you are saying. To add that much et to the 5.52 doesn't add up right. I think it ran a high six. The world will have to wait until next season to try to back it up.
    You and i can always settle this at the auto ramma on the practice tree.

29. Saxxon

Saxxon

Great Pass Brian !!
    Glad to see this thing coming around...

loudbang, Hemi Joel, enloe and 2 others like this.
  30. Thanks dave.

loudbang, enloe and Stogy like this.