Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Yamabond is very good stuff. A bit expensive, and it definitely has a shelf life once the tube is opened, but unlike regular silicone it doesn't leave 'strings' of sealer around joints. It 'flows' onto the adjacent surfaces instead. The only downside is it's a bit runny and won't fill big gaps (like end seals on intakes). I use it in lieu of gaskets a lot, and haven't had any sealing issues with it.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  2. La sleeve can make oversize outside diameter sleeves. The registers can be re bored to get the correct deck height. It's not uncommon to have this issue on a block that has seen some use. Sounds like a fun ride. I will be passing through Georgia at the end of March. I'm headed to Hilton head sc. If your in the area PM me.

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  3. The big day has come. Its registration day for drag week. Last year the event set a record selling out in five minutes. This year it sold out in four. It's a good thing my son is fast on the key board. I'm in to take another swing at drag week.

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Hooray! I know it’s tough on cars and people, good luck!

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  5. I will not be racing but I plan on flying up to watch the first couple days. Glad you got in again

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  6. thanks. stop by and introduce yourself.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. This fat old Canadian came out of his hibernation to see what was happening in the HAMB world... the first thread I look for is this one... always entertaining and educational... Look forward to following you during Drag Week... not stalker following... but ... you know... keeping tabs sort of thing.

Hope to see you at Fall Out... might be the swan song for me and the Scout

Cheers

8. I appreciate all the support from the followers. It helps keep us going as we go through the week. It actually provides alot of motivation to work harder and keep going.

chryslerfan55, enloe, Gotgas and 2 others like this.
  9. rgdavid

rgdavid

Follower from france here...lol.
    For gasket stuff, ive been using for 2 stroke moters (which needs to be completly air tight) polyurathane "sikafix", its the same stuff used for windsceens,
    Silicone is crap with todays gas...just goes soft .
    Had good results up to now,
    If not..."CAF 3" is quite good, its a bit thick so fills in well.
    Keep up the good work. And make big noise !

10. Another country heard from. That makes about ten countries watching. Thanks for following along.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Watching from Oregon country!

Blues4U likes this.
  12. We got the car fired on gas/efi late today. It didn't go with out a little issue. For some reason the starter went bad over winter. I use a dodge 318 Dakota starter. The local auto parts store didn't have one in stock but told me the warehouse in Milwaukee did. That wasted two hours. Back home we got it all back together and it fired up. A timing adjustment was needed to stop the flames from coming out of the pipes. The oil pressure gauge was pegged and there were no leaks. We ran it until the heads got hot were it had to shut off. There is no water in it right now. We ran out of time today for running nitro through it. Sunday is a new day so it will happen then. I will also have video.

13. The nitro start up went great. It ran on the bottle but not on the pump. I dove into my archives to locate the pump directions. Since I took the pump off the dual drive i had a suspicion that the rotation needed to be changed. After changing to a clockwise direction it's all good. The second video called first start up shows too much flames. It's running lean do to the big increase in timing.
    the first video labeled second start up shows less flames and it's running right. The barrel valve leak was increased from 67 percent to 85 percent. That's a big jump. That shows how much timing effects a nitro engine. I'm looking into the pipes to make sure the bv changes are not making them wet.
    Excuse the quality. It's hard to hold the phone and tune the car.
    We ran it inside the shop with head phones and respirators. The whole shop turned a cool yellowish haze. Smelled great to.
    I cannot get the videos on this site no matter what I tried. They can be found on YouTube under kohlmann 2019 nitro start up. If some one can post them here I would appreciate it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  14. oldengine

oldengine

15. oldengine

oldengine

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

17. i wasnt right clicking to get the drop down box. i might be able to get it next time. thanks for posting for me.

loudbang, squirrel and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That is one ANGRY hemi!

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

For how wicked this thing is, it starts easy and idles well. Sounds deceptively tame at idle.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. It starts very easy. It's hard to hear in the video whats going on. The car is being started on efi/gas. Once it's running the nitro is turned on along with the mag. The efi is then shut off. It all happens quickly. Normally to start a nitro engine on 50 degrees of lead it takes a 36 or 48 volt starter. I'm using the running engine to get it going on nitro. My starter is 498 cubes of hemi power. We just solved the problem by thinking a little bit outside the box. After it was done running we had the feeling of wow that crazy idea really did work. A dedicated race car would not have the second fuel system so they cant pull off what we are doing. I'm glad it worked as planned. It's a big relief.

21. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Always enjoy your posts about your awsome car! Thanks for taking us along on your build, and best of luck on Drag week.

loudbang, AmishMike and racer-x like this.
  22. Brian. So this is similar to starting a nitro engine on alky and then make the switch to nitro, but you are doing this on gas. I guess with a smaller load of nitro the engine does not have to be rolled back after shut down?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. If I squirted alchohol or gas in the engine then hit the starter it wouldn't start using a 12 volt starter. I'm actually starting the engine with the efi system first. Then I pull the fuel lever and turn on the mag. Then turn off the efi. The running engine is the starter for the nitro.
    We do roll the engine back after its run on nitro. Really bad things can happen if you dont. On drag week I put the turn down bar in the car with me so I can roll it back before driving back to the pits after a run.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Brian I hope that your saying the turn down bar is secured in the car on drag week? I know your a mad scientist and all so assume you thought that scenario through.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. squirrel

squirrel

I think he's up on the dangers of loose stuff in a race car...from the beginning of this thread.

26. The bar is placed inside the passenger's seat. It fits tightly between the seat and padding. If it comes out I have waaaayyyy bigger issues going on.

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Is it possible to switch it back to EFI/gas from mag/nitro before shutting it down and save having to roll it back?

loudbang likes this.
  28. I dont see why not. I plan on doing just that on the street. On the track i shut it off at the end of the pass. The engine is off before I make the turn off.

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Ahhhh, reminds me of the old days, starting up the Farmall TD18 on gasoline, then switching it over to diesel. Well, sorta........ hahahaha! Wow, what an amazing piece of engineering this car is!

loudbang, enloe, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

yup, just like that TD-9 I had.