Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

2. https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0X5nhQSTcyjmp
    Some of the fun at drag week is meeting new people. I drove 16 hours to Atlanta and ran into a guy that lives only a hour away from me. His name is Calvin Seith. He was hanging around our pit area taking pictures. When we were on the road he was following us. We struck up a friendship and by day two he was turning wrenches on the car. When I needed a ride back to Atlanta to get the trailer he stepped up and offered a ride. I received a pile of pics from him yesterday. I posted a few here. As you can see Calvin has a good camera and knows how to use it. I have lots of track photos of my car over the years. The pit shots and road shots not so much. That makes them very special to me. There are a few lower quality pics that were found on another site included in the group Calvin did not take.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Man that head gasket is ugly.

4. squirrel

squirrel

but it's an excellent picture of it. my picture is not as nice.

gasket.jpg

5. The gasket has been added to my wall containing my offerings to the gods of speed. Every part has a story.

6. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

We have one too. Its known as The Wall of Pain.

Stogy and mad mikey like this.
  7. Yea. I have the wall of shame and pain.:eek:

Stogy likes this.
  8. Great pics of the car in the article . Love the shots of it in action on the street, toooooo coooool.:cool::)

chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  9. upspirate

upspirate

Cool sounding in race trim, how much different does it sound in street mode?

10. On the track we use nitro and unmuffled zoomies. It sounds like a loud nitro car. On the street we use gas and the zoomies have inserts in them. They resemble glass packs. No nitro and mufflers changes the tone. It no longer sounds like cannons going off. It's still loud so we wear ear protection at all times.

chryslerfan55, enloe, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  11. There's a idea for a thread. Pics of people's busted up parts would be cool.

krbstr, upspirate, egads and 2 others like this.
  12. upspirate

upspirate

I remember seeing the cabinet of broken parts in Don Garlits museum.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Must have been an awful large cabinet!

14. We do... it's called "Blown up sir!"

enloe likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

a little noise to wake you up on a quiet Monday....

16. We are going out to union grove Saturday for one more chance at the sevens.

David Gersic, porkshop, enloe and 8 others like this.
  17. So sorry. But nice car.

racer-x likes this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good luck, Brian!!!!!

Stogy, enloe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. What Salt said. Go Brian.:)

chryslerfan55, Stogy, enloe and 3 others like this.
  20. You deserve that seven, keep us posted.

Stogy, dirty old man, enloe and 2 others like this.
  21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

GIVE EM HELL !!!!!!!!

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox

May I borrow that buffer when you finish using it ? LOL

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. Dress warm, high's in the low 50's for Saturday.

loudbang likes this.
  24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Back in my dizzy track days (21 years) I always disposed of any crash parts or broken engine parts ( fortunately not too many, but my share ) as I DID NOT want to be reminded of the money/sheet time involved of these type of problems. I did learn from my mistakes/mishaps/etc. and I never had the storage area for inventory of "Stuff" that was created through the years. This helps in remembering the good and dismissing the bad memories IMO. A good friend of mine, his comment " Racing is Fun, Relaxing and Inexpensive " kinda like " Racing is Safe, Fun, Inexpensive" pick any 2

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

Nice cold air makes for more power. :)

mad mikey and enloe like this.
  26. The important thing is the sun will be out Saturday. This will provide the much needed heat in the track. Vht doesn't work when the track is cold. I know all the track personnel there. I will see if they can drag and spray the track before I run. The car is hopped up so I will need all I can get from the track. We will see what happens. It has to happen this weekend. Next week looks even colder.

chryslerfan55, Stogy, egads and 7 others like this.
  27. Well, did it ever warm up enough to race ?

loudbang likes this.
  28. It got up to 50 degrees for two hours. The last two weeks were rainouts. 230 plus cars and snow mobiles were on site. Most of them had radial tires and full length exhaust. Alot of water was running out onto the track from the street car exhausts. A handful of faster Chicago wise guys and a pair of blown alchohol cars showed up. I know the track head starter very well. I asked if he could spray and drag the track before I ran. He did just that. Behind me in the lanes were all the fast cars lined up. I had the same tune up in it as rock falls so it was hopped up. It hooked good and lifted the wheels. About 330 feet it spun the tires and at 660. Coming down the return road I could see the other fast cars doing the same things in the same places.
    Knowing the track couldn't hold a fast car I chose to change the tune up. I basically castrated the hemi by pulling 10 degrees of timing out. The clouds moved in taking away any track temp and the air temp was now in the mid 40s. The plan was to walk it off the line so I could stay on the throttle past the eighth mile. Our overly rich conditions showed up there. The car took off. At the eighth it was hauling ass. It danced around a little but continued to bring up the rpm. The seat of the pants gauge said about 175 mph. I didn't get a time slip. The feel of the chutes hitting is different as the speed goes up. Back at the trailer the normal service work was performed including a leak down test. As the engine has gotten leaner with the extra fuel return the leak has gone from 30 in the front cylinders to 10. The rear four went from 30 down to 25. So that tells me I have room to pinch the rear nozzles a few thousanths to bring up the cylinder temp. The plugs were just starting to show some temp. Pulling 10 degrees of timing changed their look so the main jet will stay the same. It was a good test day with alot of good data recorded. The car went back in the trailer with the rods and blower still in their proper place. Today I will prep the trailer for winter. Work for 2019 has officially started.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Well we can stay ONE HELL OF A SEASON. Coming back from the catastrophe and running and surviving drag week was a great accomplishment for you and your crew. Kudos.