Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Brian let's get it together I am ready to go back we can fill the place with nitro and blown hemi's

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. That sounds like a cool road trip.

3. Depending on how things go on drag week I might go this fall. They run into November if I remember correctly.

4. loudbang

loudbang

5. Look at all the stuff flying and people running. It brings back some great memories. I have been a little busy working on the car. I had a trans leak so it had to come out to fix. I changed the battery from a 650 amp to a 1100 amp. I think it will help in starting the car with 40 plus degrees of timing. The rod bearings were rotated out. The bores were rehoned and new rings installed. The oil pump went back to missle. It was upgraded to a 10 gallon per minute pump. With the engine hot at idle The pressure was down to 15lbs. As the engine grew the clearances changed placing more demand on the oil pump. A fan was added to the oil cooler to help in stop and go traffic. The improvements were done to help during drag week. The car goes to the grove Sunday. It will be on nitro for final tuning. 20130623_154139.jpg 20180820_111318.jpg

Rick28, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I had been meaning to ask if the heads were off since bowling green for a look see. Was this first time? Was everything peachy?

Stogy likes this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Wow what a time warp lol I was standing just to the right of the tree on the right not quite in the pic though taking in all the action as you burned through the rosin just to let everyone know it's all Brian's fault I got hooked on afx cars I've had three since then and have another in the works and now hooked on nitro lol. Thanks Brian lol

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So what's the date for George Ray's ?

Tickety Boo, loudbang and enloe like this.
  9. we need to figure that out. drag week is the most pressing thing for me right now. I cant even think about anything else. im not into being a race promoter. I just think it would be cool to get a group to go there and have some fun. preferable when the weather gets cooler.

10. everything looked good exept for the rings. while tuning the car it got real rich and washed them out. the cylinders were glazed and needed a hone. I had a extra set of rings in the trailer so it didn't cost anything. we just need to not break anything this weekend time is running out for drag week.

11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

That's a lot of work that I don't think most people understand, about keeping your car running. Its almost a second job, especially when taking pics and posting them on here. I will definitely get ahold of you for the program. Keep up the good work and good luck this weekend.
    Tony

chryslerfan55, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Will you guys be posting some video from this week? I am going thru withdrawal and need to hear some AWESOMENESS:)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. im not sure. im only going there with mark. he will be on the line helping me stage so he might not get his phone up in time to record the passes. if we get any footage I will post it. are you still planning on meeting up with the hamb racers during the stop at Bristol?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and enloe like this.
  14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I don't know. is the last stop Atlanta?
    I am planning on being at one of them.

loudbang likes this.
  15. It goes from Atlanta to Darlington to charollette to Bristol back to atlanta.

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I will probably go to Atl.
    I will stay for a while then come back that afternoon so I can go to Ethan's football game.

17. Enloe can you pm me your cell number? It never hurts to have another resource from the area. It can prove to be very valuable in a emergency.

18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

19. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

How was testing on Sunday?

20. It was over before it started. We got to the track and unloaded. The car was along side the trailer and my crew man noticed the driver side brake caliper looked funny. The bracket had broken allowing the caliper to shift. I took it apart and we drove to a friends house to weld it. As we were putting it back together a pro mod crashed big time. Flite for life was called. The guy broke his pelvis and collapsed a lung. He was unconscious and not doing well. The local sheriff thought he might die so they did a investigation as though he would. Turns out I heard good news today he has survived. After all that we loaded up and came home. It was 90 plus degrees and high humidity. Just miserable conditions. The track was down for hours and still down when we left. To be extra safe I'm building new stronger better caliper brackets. I took the guys crash as a sign not to risk it with my welded up parts. The brackets do to the welding changed their shape a little bit. The caliper was no longer moving freely on the pins. I didn't want to risk having a caliper lock up. While it sucks we didn't make a pass I feel fortunate we found this before drag week.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Smart call, Brian. Keep beatin on it, you'll find most the weak spot. :D

22. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Glad ya found it before the run.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  23. The brake bracket design worked out perfect. The new one piece caliper brackets are much stronger piece. Everything is now in line. The old ones that broke were spaced to the outside and welded together.
    I reused the head gaskets last week when I put it all back together after the hone job. They were leaking some coolant so tonight we pulled them off. I do have a spare set of new cometic gaskets.
    Since the heads are off I'm going to put .125 restrictor in the heads. Do to the rings having .040 gap there is some blow by on the street. It's hard for oil to run down a return hole that has positive pressure the opposite way. The brass bolt will be cut and drilled to size. A slot will the be cut in so it can be screwed into the heads deck. We have a little bit of work to do on saturday. It should all be back together by Sunday. I like to let the silicone set up for 24 hrs if possible. If everything goes good the trailer gets loaded Monday. We leave for drag week on Thursday. 20180831_220350.jpg 20180831_220427.jpg 20180831_220412.jpg 20180831_221725.jpg 20180831_222259.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@racer-x's real Life Revell Kit...:rolleyes:...your a very well organized, focused man...that's a cool shot there's a thread for that...Garages at night or something like that...;)

loudbang, Floater03 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Good luck, stay safe, go like hell is chasin' you, tromp everyone. :D .
    Marcus...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That’s not a garage @Stogy that is Brian’s operating theater. The big Hemi is merely a pump much like a very healthy heart or a heavily modified one anyhow.

27. Some things you cane explain. I was upset last week when the caliper bracket broke. It started a week long project to make new ones. They turned out great. When I took apart the passenger side it was also broken. The brackets were between the spindle and rotor so they are out of sight. When I was putting it all back together the outer bearing was making the wheel wobble. You can see why. I'm glad I found these things before next week.
    A days work and it's all back together. Street driving for final testing Sunday. 20180901_191755.jpg 20180901_190937.jpg

28. Good luck dodging rain drops.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@racer-x whats that...:rolleyes:...thing sticking up in the air? Torque Wrench? The BIG Johnson to preposition TDC before starting or The "Club" Racer-x style...:D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and enloe like this.
  30. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I Can't wait till next weekend Southeast Gassers on Saturday Drag Week on Sunday!