Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I still laugh about you firing that thing up in front of my house. My neighbors had been being loud as hell all week and I didn’t say a peep about it.

They didn’t say anything about the loud green car either haha

2. Rained almost all day. When cars did start running it was limited to eighth mile. We will try to make a 330 foot pass for a plug reading then go eighth mile. We put in a bunch more timing so we have to creep up on it.

Hemi Joel, enloe, porkshop and 2 others like this.
  3. Cara Marie

Cara Marie

The car sounded and looked great this year! What a machine!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Cara Marie

Cara Marie

Your efforts are paying off. So happy you got in before the rain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Cara Marie

Cara Marie

saltflats, hendelec, JUNK ROD and 8 others like this.
  6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I saw the pass Saturday evening. Man the car sounded good. The pass earlier in the day I heard in the swap meet. I thought it was about to storm because I heard the thunder. :)

8. squirrel

squirrel

looking great! Thanks for the pictures and video....sure wanted to be there, but I gotta build a car right now..

hendelec, racer-x, Hemi Joel and 2 others like this.
  9. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

That is so awesome to see, I wish I was there. Thanks for posting the videos.

I know you didn't make a full pass, Brian, but what do the incrementals times tell us?

10. the car is much louder this year. everything is working as planned. as far as the tuning its way too rich. now its running safely its time to make some power by leaning it out. we will do a upper blower pulley swap going from 19 over to 25 over driven. to lean it out further we can add more percentage or put in a bigger main pill. the car drove great this weekend. no more sliding around the track. it was nice to visit with eveyone that stopped by.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I imagine seeing it hook and make a solid full power pull is something like seeing them sling shot jets off an aircraft carrier

12. The Times are worthless do to tire spin. The first pass spun bad. We looked at the tires and found the outer 3-4 inches is worn off. I'm not getting the full 12 inches. They got worn down sliding around sideways at us -41. The second pass hooked harder. I think the track was prepped better and the tires were a little flatter after two burnouts. We were approached Saturday by a photographer from mopar collectors guide. We did a shoot on Sunday morning. It was a good weekend. We brought the car home in one piece. 20180721_183901.jpg 20180722_074142.jpg

13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Congrats on the successful weekend!

hendelec, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  14. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

It does sound good. What percentage of pop are you running?

loudbang, racer-x and Hemi Joel like this.
  15. rgdavid

rgdavid

Sounds absolutly scary lovely great, oh what music to the ears.

loudbang, racer-x and Hemi Joel like this.
  16. 75% for both passes.

Woogeroo, loudbang, hendelec and 3 others like this.
  17. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

Good to see some nice, uneventful passes! Can't wait to see it all dialed in. It was nice to hang out for a short time.

18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

It was good to finally meet you and your family.

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

20. Great job! Will you be at the HAMB drags in Joplin this year....Or the Fallout in September at Rock Falls?

21. I'm thinking the hamb drags won't happen but rock falls will.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  22. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

Are you in for Drag Week?

loudbang likes this.
  23. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo

It's great to see everything coming together. I wish I was there to see it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  24. We are in drag week. While the weekend is still fresh in my head I made some changes.
    Main bypass increased from 80 to 100 to lean it out. As the rpm comes up the fuel pump puts out more volume. By 300 feet the engine is drowning in too much fuel.
    Upper blower pulley changed from a 52 down to a 48. This will increase boost and also lean it out some more. Over drive will be 25 %.
    The videos show the wheelie bars unloading the chassis. They will be raised to stop that.
    Timing will increase from 38 up to 42 degrees. This will have a big impact on the tune up. I would prefer 50 but the 12 volt starter won't start the engine. We might have to add another battery to make 24 volts. A separate switch would be added to go back to 12 volts when street driving.

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The extra battery can always be well placed to aid weight distribution too.
    I noticed the wheelie bar wheels are starting to deteriorate. Will they hold up through drag week or effect a launch negatively?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  26. The outside edges got rounded off when I was on two wheels. They will be fine. With the bars raised up for the next test session i don't expect them to even touch the ground. I that becomes the case I will remove them completely like last year. The bars are a big pain for many reasons. I think they look ugly also.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  27. hendelec

hendelec

:cool::cool:
    Why not have tandem wheelie bars, they can be shorter & look more traditional :eek::rolleyes::cool:

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  28. Short bars are hard to tune. Higher hp cars need longer and stronger bars. They look extra long because i dont have any over hang from the trunk. If these were on a tri five Chevy they would look much different. I'm working on suspension adjustment so I can eventually remove them.

29. since the meltdown drags the car has been converted over for street duty. its out scaring women and children all over south east wisconsin. this coming weekend i plan on driving it out to elkhorn for the madison classics car show/swap meet. i might load up the trailer to simulate drag week driving. it never hurts to get more time in under similar road conditions. on the way home i most likely will stop in east troy for their show at the drive in. im not too thrilled with how loud the car is. i put mufflers in the zoomies that were supposed to help quiet the car down and they didnt do much. on a positive note the water temp is under control. the car is running cool at a nice 160 degrees. i think the aluminum block and bigger oil cooler are helping.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  30. squirrel

squirrel

as we know, the street driving is what kills most Drag Week cars. Great to see you're putting it through some serious testing!

I'm still plodding along on mine...but hopefully we'll get to go racing a pair of blown hemi cars that should never be driven, in a month and a half!