Register now to get rid of these ads!

rebuilding a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29cabby, Apr 13, 2011.

1. 29cabby

29cabby

Just wanted to see if anyone had a price on what it would take to rebuild a flathead and where there is a good place to purchase a kit from. any information??

2. tig master

tig master
    from up north

3. 1 million dollars

4. Hitchhiker is damn near right. Just finished an 8BA and the total was about $3000 and that was without a lot of extras (OK, maybe just a few...). Word of advice: Keep all your receipts and then put them in a file someplace. Then, don't look at them again, and especially important; NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances add them up!! :D:rolleyes:

P.S. I got lots of my rebuild parts from Speedway and found a local shop to do the machine work, etc. Some of the Speedway branded stuff has been iffy in my recent experience, but you can still get, say, an ISKY cam for a decent price, etc. I used (shudder) Chevy stainless valves to save a few bucks, etc. A good shop familiar with flatties can help you save a few bucks here and there.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

5. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

:DI agree with Rod Guys take on a machine shop familiar with flathead's, it will be money well spent.

6. While investigating what I'm going to do. It looks like approx. 2,800-4,000, of course there are some goody options in that range. The problem is time element with most of the shops. No quicky here.

7. 36tbird

36tbird

Take a look at the 'bay. I saw shop that I think is in Kansas offering rebuilts for around $2800 plus s/h. Then, swap meet season is upon us, you might find something close by. I have one right now that I found on Craig'slist I'm going to drag to my local swapmeet to try and peddle because I subsequently found another one with only 7000 miles on it with a Merc crank to replace it with. So, they are out there but you gotta keep your radar up to find them.

8. Yes, the shop in Witchita is one of the shops I've been speaking with. Good shop, good work. The main draw back right now with them is they are on a 12-15 week waiting period as of last week.