Register now to get rid of these ads!

rebuilding a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29cabby, Apr 13, 2011.

1. 29cabby

29cabby

Just wanted to see if anyone had a price on what it would take to rebuild a flathead and where there is a good place to purchase a kit from. any information??

2. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Kind of an open ended question what kind of engine are you building stock or hopped up? Also might wanna have your block checked for cracks before you spring for parts. I've had flatheads rebuilt from $2000-16000(yes you read that right)

3. tig master

tig master
    from up north

4. barry wny

barry wny

I have a 21 stud that almost have $1500 into, but a lot of parts were NOS stuff bought cheap on the 'bay. New parts for a 21 stud would go around $2500. A late motor parts less than half that.
    Boiled block bored with 3 cast sleeves & top decks smoothed $500
    1 main egged, honed correct & grind crank $200

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. RAY With

RAY With

I had a custom flatty done turn key $6,500 > Depends on what all you want done.

6. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Keep in mind that a flathead is obsolete for a reason. I built mine in my '34 pickup and it was about $2800 with all the "good buddy" deals I could muster. Its time comsuming, as you must locate parts and then shop for the best prices on them. Don't expect SBC results, but I would say that it was worth the effort. Be patient, look for the best core you can and ask a lot of questions.

Attached Files:

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I redo the one I have I figure that I'll have more in it than I have put into the whole car on earlier projects.

But we are talking complete from the bare block just out of the hot tank up rebuilds with all the machine work and all new or reworked parts along with a lot of special parts added in.

Most of the guys are figuring in the heads, intake and carbs in their calculations I would imagine and certain heads can double the cost of the build real quick.