Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical rebuilding a 235. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSS BUCKLIN, Jun 1, 2018.

1. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Hi Board,

Bought a '53 235 to replace the 216 in my 50 Fleetline Deluxe. The head and block go to the machine shops today; Action Machine and Autosport in Seattle for the block and head respectively.

I'm looking for suggestions on things to do to help the overall performance, reliability and longevity of the motor. I have Leo Santucci's book and am looking for suggestions based on real world experience.

Thanks all!

Russ

2. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Leo's book doesn't cover these 6 cylinders, it only covers the generation engines that came after them. You need to find California Bill's book that covers the Stovebolt engine family.

3. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Is your 53 235 originally from a standard shift car or Powerglide equipped car? Stick shift equipped engines have babbit rods like your 216. 53 Powerglide engines had insert type rod bearings and had much higher oil pressure and were better lubricated. All 54 and later have insert rods. Personally, I would not consider building the babbit type if looking for longevity. Probably cheaper to build the later type also. Other than that, convert to full flow oil filter and get a 3:54 ratio differential to keep up with todays' speeds. Also a 53 Powerglide or 54 engine is preferred since they carry the short water pump making the swap a true bolt in deal.
    Eddie

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

55-62 235's are the best ones to use. The 848 cylinder head is also the right one.