Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rebuild vent windows

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Karl Schofield, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

2. squirrel

squirrel

I've rebuilt a few. It might depend a little on what it's for, but the usual procedure is to get all the new parts, then take it apart (usually includes drilling out rivets), clean things up, and put it back together with the new parts.

If you have more specific questions, let us know, we can help you figure it out.

3. Jim makes a valid point,it helps to know what your working on,I have repaired the vent windows on mid 50's Fords and can point you in the right direction for parts. HRP

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Some '50s GM cars have a core plug that falls out - put them back together & stake the plug, works like new.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I did my 40 coupe's wings they were not terribly hard to do. Although having tempered glass helped when it came time to install it in the frame. It took a few good wacks with a rubber mallet to seat it in the metal frame.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just did a 57 Chevy . Bought the parts from Classic Industries. Not hard at all.

7. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

Thank all of you, on one the swivel bracket on is broken. Neither of them work smoothly. One the lock handle is broken.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. squirrel

squirrel

find used ones, to scavenge parts, or to replace the whole thing. Or do some welding, if the broken part is steel.

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

He's in Japan, Jim. Tough to find old Chevy parts over there. ;)
    But that is probably your easiest solution, Karl. It will take some effort on your part, but Jim's suggestion of obtaining a pair of decent old ones, thanks to the internet, should solve your issue.

10. squirrel

squirrel

oh, sorry didn't notice.

11. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

The frames should be stainless correct? I think I'll give the rebuild a try.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Frames are S/S. Rivets are available. As Squirrel stated, buy the rubbers etc and then tackle things. The doors will need to be disassembled. There are some HAMBers (Owens Salvage) that could assist with locating parts. I presume it is for your Fleetline in your avatar?
    If so, here's the Shop Manual. Just go to the relevant section and it will explain the process step by step.
    You may need to silver solder a bracket if it rattled loose and then polish.
    I've yet to reassemble mine since they were rechromed.
    $_1.JPG 1-4 glass rivets 49-53.JPG Chrome2.jpg

Attached Files:

Special Ed likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

They didn't use chrome plated steel for the frames? Just a question, as they did on ones I've done. But I haven't done a 49-54 Chevy car.

14. rc57

rc57

They just did a TV show on Velocity about rebuilding wings. I have it recorded, I can get you show name and episode tonite.

Hnstray likes this.
  15. rc57

rc57

Sam's Garage Season 2 Episode 9

16. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

Thank you, all of this is great info.

17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Karl, you still have not verified what car you are working on....... Is it the car in your Avatar?Some of thee most willing and able people on this site are offering to help but they need some simple information from you to do that.

18. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

Sorry for the late response. Yes it is the fleetline.

19. The broken shaft can be welded back in place. My 54 the frames rusted. Had them replated.. The vent locks are stainless. Didn't find replacements. They look like tri five but are different.
    Found it easier to rebuild the vent. Then put the glass in.

20. I rebuilt the ones on my 50 Pontiac and used some parts from a 50 Chevy I found in a wrecking yard in Springerville, AZ. Fitting the new rubber seals was a bit of an adventure as I remember - just took my time and fiddled with the spring tension on the assembly to get them to work smoothly.

21. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

Thank again for the responses. I'm taking a trip back to the states soon. Hope to get most of my parts shopping done while I'm there.