Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebel Fuse panel mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by playinsafe44, Mar 5, 2012.

1. I'm working on my brother's '51 chevy coupe and I don't know where to mount the fuse block. He bought a Rebel 14 circuit and it looks like a great kit, but he doesn't have a lot of real estate under the dash. He wants it completely out of sight, and accessible at the same time. Anyone have any tips, suggestions, or pictures? I was thinking about making some spacers and mounting it over the hinge bolts (above the driver kick panel).

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Thats about where I put mine in my '50 sedan delivery. Out of the way and out of sight.

3. Yep, kick panel.

4. I like to hinge mine lays flat under the dash drops down like a glove box door

5. outlaw256

outlaw256

damn noname, thats a good idea!

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am gonna steal this idea as well!

7. Cerberus

Cerberus

What a coincidence! Yesterday I started installing a Hot Rod 9+3 Rebel wire harness on my current build. As you said, there is very little room for the fuse panel. Requires almost a straight 9-1/4" path for the fuse panel to fit and for the wires that pass thru the fire wall (90 degree turn). Rebel wants the fuse panel to be mounted securely to a flat surface. Well, the wires are plastic tied together to form the loom, and are bunched up so they protrude 3/4 - 7/8" from the back of the fuse panel interfering with the mounting surface. So to mount it you have to use 3/4" spacers so the wire loom isn't smashed up against the firwall, and spaced away from it. Also, on my build there is very little room so I had to rotate the fuse block 90 degrees, which aims where the wires exit the fuse panel towards the column...a good thing actually because the instructions say, make sure the steering column section of wires will reach your column. Turned out fine. Today, I run all the wires to their final destination. My back is already killing me. LOL

8. clips221

clips221

Good Idea NONAME.

Working on a 54 Coupe, bought a 9+3 Rebel harness and have the dash out of the car. Hinging sounds good. You got any pics of your invention?

9. X2 in my 49 Sedan Delivery

10. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

On my 50 Chevy I mounted mine on the passenger side above the kick panel under the dash there is still room to get to it with no problem, I put nut certs in so I can bolt in in and take it out, also you can remove the glove box and that is the most room there is under the dash for 49-52 Chevys.

11. The hinged idea sounds pretty cool. Would there be any issue with wires bending around though? I know these old wires I'm pulling out can't bend without the insulation falling right off. Do you have any pictures of your set up? I might have to do something similar. Thanks for all the quick replies!

12. choptvan

choptvan

Return it. Get a trunk mount kit. Hide it wherever you want!