Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reasonable price to helicoil carb mount hole in aluminum intake?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 61Chevy454, Jun 17, 2017.

1. george d gabert

george d gabert

instead of having to get a heli-coil kit go to the auto parts store and get an oversized stud to regular size and tap the hole bigger and insert the stud, S8x10x38.jpg

i.rant and henryj1951 like this.
  2. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

"It's not hard to do. Just keep the tap straight with the hole."

Keeping the drilling and the tapping straight is about the hardest part, and mighty important.
    And the same is true for drilling and tapping for oversized studs, and other types of thread repair.

Something like this could be a help -
    https://www.amazon.com/Steelex-Plus-D3206-Drill-Guide/dp/B00BN5P2RM

5/16" Helicoil in aluminum can usually get by with a 5/16" tap drill, so would work with basic drill guides etc like the one above.
    Standard 5/16-18 EZ lock requires tapping a 1/2 - 13 hole with about 1/2" deep full threads , which uses a 27/64" Ø tap drill, and drilling about 0.88 inch deep to receive a regular plug tap, without resorting to a bottoming tap.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Use JB Weld and the original stud.

'51 Norm likes this.
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

5/16" Helicoil in aluminum can usually get by with a 5/16" tap drill, so would work with basic drill guides etc like the one above.
    Standard 5/16-18 EZ lock requires tapping a 1/2 - 13 hole with about 1/2" deep full threads , which uses a 27/64" Ø tap drill, and drilling about 0.88 inch deep to receive a regular plug tap, without resorting to a bottoming tap.[/QUOTE]This is the kind of misinformation that makes the OP want to go to a shop. Tap drill for a 5/16-18 is 17/64. For a Helicoil it's 21/64. A 16th difference. I guess you meant a 5/16 drill bit. Still taking a chance on sticking the tap in a small hole. If you got to drill it, why not use the proper size bit?

5. Fogger

Fogger

I've repaired many aluminum intake manifolds using a TimeSert repair kit. Search online for a supplier in your area. I consider it a more permanent repair than a Helicoil as the TimeSert is a steel insert that is threaded into the stripped hole.

6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Once you've done this , then both of the OTHER fixes can be done at ANYTIME if ever----my vote is this

7. The most critical piece is getting the hole straight. You can use a small square or make a drill guide up. I saw a guy in a shop make one out of a piece of oak pallet last week and it worked. It kept the drill straight. If you intend to stay in the car game, you should invest in things like a set of drills, a couple of tap wrenches and some countersinks.

8. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Bingo! Jack E/NJ

9. It is just about the easiest DIY you will ever do. Stick a skinny screwdriver in the hole to check dept. Mark that depth on your drill bit with a piece of masking tape. No need to vacuum, just cover the carb holes with duct tape. Kit will be cheaper than having it done and not only will you have a cheap fix on your manifold, you will have the assets to do half a dozen more such fixes in that size for 'free'.

pat59 likes this.
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What broken stud are you talking about? Did you read the OPs post? This thread has gone on to long. It's getting stupid. Every repair within reason has been discussed. By now he should have the HeliCoil installed and is driving the car.

crminal and Truck64 like this.
  11. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>Every repair within reason has been discussed. >>>

No it hasn't. I just thunk of a lag stud from Home Depot cuz they're a bit cheaper than at Lowes. Jack E/NJ
    lagstud.jpg

12. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

those are great! yery handy things..............

13. Please don't do this...... JB weld had its place. A heli coil or similar product is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Great for hanging suspended ceilings, and flower pots, not intake manifolds and carburetors.

Texas57 and henryj1951 like this.