Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs rearend replacement on my 55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cooter1, Dec 5, 2021.

1. cooter1

cooter1

is there any downside to replacing a rearend with a 59" track , with a rearend that measures 61" hub to hub ? so 2" wider . i have several inches room between the tire and the inner side of the fender when i run a square up on the outside of the existing tire . i can likely play a little bit with the offset of the wheel . although i don't want to lose too much dish on the wheel .

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@cooter1

If it fits, it fits. Sounds like you have covered the bases.

Ray

LWEL9226 and i.rant like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

59" track...is that the center of the tires? 61" hub to hub....that sounds like a good way to measure, to compare two rear ends.

Measure both of them the same way, to figure out what the difference is

4. Former neighbor bought a (piece of garbage) 63 Falcon rag. After getting it home he tried to remove the rear wheels and couldn't get them out of the wheel well. Turns out a butcher ... ahem, I mean "previous owner" had installed a wider rear then moved the wheel center (changed the offset) on some steel wheels in order to get them to fit. Neighbor ended up buying some Cragars and then had the existing (too wide) rear (a 9") cut to fit. Having a flat tire and not being able to get a tire out from under a car could be quite annoying I would assume.

I have no idea how much wider the "too wide" rear on the Falcon was but something to think about.

5. Likely still get a 7 inch rim with 4- 4-1/2 inch back spacing in with out trouble.

6. cooter1

cooter1

ok . thanks all . i suspect it will be fine . i measured outer hub to outer hub . essentially the rear track .

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's why my Falcon has front wheel arches on the rear.

ffr1222k likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will be fine, so long as you have a reasonably sized tire.

I have used rears on or about that width in the car that appears in your profile, assuming that it is the one.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Track is the center of the tires, not the width of the axle. Track is a specific industry term that takes into account the axle with, and the offset (backspacing) of the wheels.

427 sleeper and squirrel like this.
  10. cooter1

cooter1

k . good to know . this is on a 55 buick . the centre to centre of tire and the hub to hub are both 59" . i pulled the drums in tight on the donor rear end and got a good measure and it looks like an even 61 inches . should be fine .

squirrel likes this.
  11. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I was wondering when OP was going to get around to telling us what make of car.

Budget36 and squirrel like this.
  12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You probably know this.....
    Buicks kept the torque tube to...what? 1959?....
    This complicates the swap.

13. cooter1

cooter1