Register now to get rid of these ads!

rearend gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by box50, Jan 30, 2011.

1. box50

box50

Hey guys, I am planning to change the gear in the rearend of my 50 shoebox. It is a stock rear with 4:12 gear, My question can I buy a new ring&pinion gear and who would have one. Would just any body have this or is this a special order deal. Any info would be great,once agian Thank's for your help.box50:D

2. There are not a whole lot of options for gear ratios to fit your stock shoebox rear. There are basically two ways you can go with this--an overdrive transmission (either a stock overdrive--but given the ratio you have, it may already have OD, that rear ratio sounds like an OD rear end ratio), or swap in something like a T-5 5 speed out of an S-10 pickup. The other option is to swap out the rear end for a later Ford 9" out of a '57-'59 Ford or a '60s V8 Mustang, a 8" rear out of a Granada or Maverick, or one of the 8.8" rear out of an Explorer. Any of those would be about the right width, would have the same wheel bolt pattern, and would give you more choices of gear ratios. Another thing to consider is rear wheel/tire size. A larger diameter wheel/tire has the same effect as a higher gear ratio, a smaller diameter wheel/tire has the same effect as a lower gear ratio. The low gear ratio you have now was somewhat offset by the tall 16" wheels and tires that it came with originally. If you put smaller wheels/tires on it to get it lower, you have the undesired side effect of being geared too low for comfortable highway cruising. Bear in mind also that "comfortable highway cruising" in 1950 meant about 45-50, not 70.

3. box50

box50

Ok so what needs to be done to put a T-5 in it still has the flatty in it.

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

There are a few ways to go, but a T5 would certainly add performance and drivability.