Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rearend centering and pinion angle ?'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrolla2k3, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

Hey guys,

Im getting ready to finish my bag setup on my '54 and was just curious how, without the driveline installed can I properly set pinion angle of the rearend, and whats the easiest way to ensure that everything is centered and true? I spoke with Alex Gambino on how to set ride height and set up the 4 link, but cant seem to find any good info on pinion angle and how to set it. Any help would be great. If it helps it on my '54 chevy 150.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Just type the word "Pinion angle" in the Search Forum box and tons of info appears.
    Good reading.

3. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

I did just that, but nothing is specific to a bagged rear without driveline installed...... Anyone else?

4. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Should be the same as the input shaft on your transmission at ride height...

5. If you want the pinion shaft in the center of the chassis, set a square up outside each frame rail across from the pinion yoke and measure to the center of the pinion shaft.

As posted above, pinion angle should be pretty much the same as trans output shaft angle (you can also measure this angle across the face of the front pulley). Pull the c clips off the pinion flange and use the angle finder across the faces of the yoke. If the trans shaft is 1deg down, for example, the pinion should be 1deg up as this will make them parallel.

6. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

Thanks ewestracer,

But whats a guy to do when he doesnt have his motor and trans mounted in the car yet? Is there a rough estimate that can be made in the pinion angle to get the rearend mounted? I dont have plans to install the motor and trans until this winter, but need to get the car rolling on all 4 pretty soon. I have the gambinos 4 link kit, and the links are adjustable, will these give me any adjustability once the rear end is mounted?

7. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Check the angle where the carb mounts on your intake manifold against the engine itself being level... That will give you a good idea of what kind of an angle you'll be working with since your carb/ manifold should sit level in the car.

8. Then you better just tack everything in until you do install motor/trans.

9. jj mack

jj mack

One of the great things about a 4 link is that it is easy to adjust the pinion angle. or am I missing sumthing...............

Just make sure you install them allowing for adjustability in both directions.

10. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

Thats what Im assuming/hoping too jj mack, at least thats what I would THINK would help with the angle. Can anyone verify?

Jaison

11. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

You can make adjustments afterwards, but don't just slap it together and rely on that to get it right. Set it up right from the begining and use those adjustments to fine tune evenything.

12. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

level with the floor is a good place to start. the pinion wants to climb the ring gear on take off. u joints should be parallel