Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rearching leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twilloug, Mar 17, 2010.

1. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

So I have looked through some posts and still have a couple of questions for re arching leaf springs.

I talked to a shop yesterday and he quoted me $150 to rear arch both rear springs on 41 coupe. ($300 to make new springs.) He then asked if I wanted to add a spring. Do they typically add springs or just rearch? My main spring appears to be the one that is really sagging.

When you take your springs in to get rearched, how do they know how much to do? Are there questions I need to ask when I talk to them or information I should tell them?

2. 1930roadster

1930roadster

New Posies S/S are about $275

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've found that when you have springs rearched they don't hold the new arch for very long. Usually after about a year they are sagging about like when you had the work done. I don't want to malign the work of every shop but this is just the experience I've had.

Frank

4. johnboy13

johnboy13

^^^^^ What he said +1

5. R Pope

R Pope

Do it yourself with a small press. I reversed the eyes on my model A spring that way. Two blocks about a foot apart and press it farther than looks right, it will spring back a bit. Do that every few inches the full length of the spring, and you just saved the price of the press.

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I rearched mine at home with my hydraulic press about 3 years ago - they are still the same now as then - no additional sagging. YMMV

EDIT: Well it seems that TIME FLYS - I was wrong in my statement above - it's been 8 years since I rearched my leaf springs - they still look perfect.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  7. Checksix!

Checksix!

If you don't add a leaf, they WILL sag back down! The time frame for this varies on how much load they used to carry vs. what they carry now, what kind of shape your shocks are in or will be, and even how many and how large are the bumps you will be encountering. Springs wear and lose some strength over time and the new, additional leaf is installed to correct this. Ever bend a piece of baling wire back and forth to split it? notice how the last few bends are alot easier. This is due to fatigue and to some degree heat, to a lesser extent your springs are doing the same thing.
    If you can find a shop that can re-temper your springs (not easy nowdays) you can probably go with out the extra leaf if your car has not gained significant weight (sprung and unsprung) since it was originally manufactured. Hope this helps

Dave

8. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

Found a set of new 8 leaf springs from JC Whitney for $260 shipped. Anyone ever bought from JCW? Jap crap or decent quality?

Can't find prices on Posies close to 275 but don't think I want to lower the rear 3" either with the slider springs. thanks