Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear window area on a 46-48 Plymouth business coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gene-koning, Nov 6, 2019.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

Hi all, my 48 Plymouth business coupe has an issue with the pinch lip the rear window rubber seals onto. Most of the top of the window frame no longer exists.
    When I through the car together 7 or 8 years ago, it was in pretty bad condition then, but at least it was holding the window in place and wasn't leaking.
    I never expected the car to survive this long, so I really wasn't too worried about it. A couple years ago, after the car has surprised my on how well it actually works, a small leak between the rubber and the roof developed. Not being in a position to do a proper repair, I put some silicone around the window to stop the leak and drove on. I applied more silicone last spring.

The time has come to fix the issue with a more permanent repair. There are only a few problems I need to deal with:
    1) Since there isn't much there, I really have no idea what it would have looked like.
    2) I'm not sure I can replicate the compound curves and edges.

I guess I'm looking for a few pictures someone might be willing to take of the area in question that is still intact.

A business coupe has a flat rear glass, the Club coupe has a curved rear glass, and a sedan has a completely different rear window area.

The next thought was maybe someone might have a rear window area they are not going to use and might consider selling it to me. I need about 3" of metal beyond the steps around the glass. I will also need a replacement glass, but as long as I can retain the flat glass, I can get it cut locally. I'm not opposed to welding in a curved rear glass framework as long as I can get a decent curved rear glass with the deal.

A few pictures of the area in need. And one of the car in question. Thanks, Gene

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@gene-koning

Gene,

Another idea to consider. There are several late ‘30s/‘40s vehicles that have similar contours from which it may be possible to harvest a roof section and window. You may not be limited to just a like MOPAR piece....although transplant ‘tissue rejection’ could be involved :D

Ray

scrap metal 48 and scotty t like this.
  3. I’ve always wanted to change the rear window on my business coupe, it looks a little funky with the flat glass in the curved roof. Now is your chance to shop around for a better looking window.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. A 40 Ford would look great, they have a very similar roof shape.
    D8831B9A-4606-42FB-B979-17601378ADE2.jpeg

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm open to options, the rear glass won't know what its riding on, and its not like you can see much out of those back windows anyway. The problem is, there are no sources for anything like rear window surrounding sheet metal around here. I doubt anything available from the local pull a part is going to work.

I suspect if I can find someone that is chopping a roof somewhere near me, I may be able to get a donor roof section.

The thought of making something from scratch isn't very appealing, that is part of what has delayed the project this far, but its getting done somehow before this upcoming spring. Gene

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a split rear window from a '37 Ford if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

Sent you a PM. Gene

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I think there may be some guys on the p15 d24 board that may have parts cars that may be donors. You need to be a member to post a wanted ad but it might be worth a shot.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  9. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've tried several times to join that board over the years. I have never received any response from them. At some point the effort I've made to try to join has exceeded the desire to belong. Gene

Hnstray likes this.
  10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Have you tried any of the on line vintage junkyards like dessert valley ap, or CT auto ranch in Texas, or one of the ones in southern Dakota? There was one in Utah but it may have changed hand or names. The guys in Denton Texas have this one

Attached Files:

11. missysdad1

missysdad1

Not a difficult repair if you can find a business coupe rear window surround for parts. If it were mine I'd remove only the affected area and replace it by welding in part of the donor window surround using a plywood "mockup" window and lots of clamps. Good luck!

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

Well guys, the window is on its way. Now to see if Gene posts pictures after it is done. Inquiring minds want to know.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scotty t and RICH B like this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'll post pictures as the disaster unfolds. :D
    We will see what it looks like with a 37 Ford rear window. At this point, I really can't hurt the car, good luck has been holding in the current back window that is separating so bad you can hardly see through it.
    The new, soon to come, split rear window should really add to the confusion some people already have concerning what make the car originally was. Its has been called just about every make of automobile that was ever built, and more then a few people have looked at me pretty questionable when I tell them it a 48 Plymouth business coupe. The new rear window should really add some doubt for some folks. Gene

14. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

Love these business coupes. I'd much rather have the flat window vs. the curved ones. I like the look.