Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear wheel offset question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dentisaurus, Feb 17, 2015.

1. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Hello
    I have mocked up my rear axle for my Model A coupe project (1940 width banjo, Lincoln backing plates and buick 45 fin drums. 7.50 16 Coker blackwall on a 16x6" rim 3.75 offset ) . That leaves my about 49 1/2" between the tires inner side walls. The rear wheel well goes from 42' to about 48" toward the front but that is as the body rises up to the belt line. Does that sound like a reasonable set up or should I be looking for a wheel with less offset?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Bias Ply or Radial Cokers? I'd be inclined to say 3/4" clearance shouldn't end up rubbing unless something goes floppy. Have you checked how load affects this relationship? Do the wells taper out toward the top at all or is it a consistent measurement vertically?

3. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I agree. 3/4 inch seems good at the tightest spot. This is given nothing flexes around a bunch on a harder cornering.

4. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Going with bias plies I think. The body does taper out but the 3/4 " measurement is based on my worst case measurement. Spoke with a few other folks. I think this will work out.
    Thanks for the follow up!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!