Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear wheel bearing race

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Oct 6, 2021.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    I need again fix those 39-> rear axle wheel bearing inner surfaces.
    I didn´t find anymore that dimension which new sleeves need to grind after installed.

Anyone can help?

Aulis

2. C69A

C69A

OD should be 2.0625”

3. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Sleeves to repair housings and hubs are readily available. They come with instructions. The surfaces on the housing need to be annealed before they can be easily turned down to press fit the sleeve. It shouldn't need any grinding on the sleeve. Sleeves for the hub - same thing minus the annealing. Proper press fit = no mods to the sleeve. It may be easier to find a good hub.

4. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Yes this is correct dimension.
    Today I grind those undersize and "drop" INA needle bearing inner rings on and grind those that OD

Thank You !

Aulis

NB. I know that they have those repair sleeves. Sleeves must install with heat. I do not trust if its only pressed because there is big weight on wheel. When drive and there is potholes on road (we have here) sleeve can be stretch and move etc.
    I want to do it so that there is 2-4/100mm smaller hole in hardered needle bearing sleeve than grinded surface. I warm sleeve and drop on its place. When colder, I grind surface, using crank grinding machine, to right dimension.

Good ready sleeves are those "speedi sleeves". You can use those on shaft if seal has made groove to unhardered shaft and You need to repair axle. We also sell those approx. 10/100mm thick sleeves. I do not know if You have those inc. dimension there in America. Here are used metric speedi sleeves.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Old farmer way,was turn axle housing up side down,so bad part of bearing was up,then redo brackets. Add new roller bearing.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That "grinding the axle down for the sleeve" scares me as the normal prep method is as Glen Thoreson said. Anneal the bearing surface on the housing so it can be cut with the tool in the lathe and set it up in a lathe and turn it to the suggested OD to fit the ID of the sleeve. This isn't something you grind down with an angle grinder and then knock the sleeve on with a hammer and block of wood.

7. 97

Auliz owns a hot rod shop...he is not going to grind a bearing surface with a disc grinder, he stated he is going to be grinding the bearing surface to size with a crankshaft grinder . Grinding is the only way you can accurately resize the type of bearing he proposes using . Could also be done in a lathe using a tool post grinder .
    In my experience the commonly available press on sleeves are of variable quality. I have seen them split after fitting before they even had a bearing on them. Turns out those ones were made in Asia from seamed tubing or maybe low grade pipe.

kadillackid, joel and Blues4U like this.
  8. Apparently reading comprehension is not high for some people….he said he’s grinding it to size with a crank grinder, I’m guessing it’ll be ok. Not sure why some people have to post something negative on every thread they come across. Clowns.

97 likes this.
  9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

......a failure to communicate......

Blues4U likes this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Sorry my english. wrong word order and not explain clear.... but still try.

Today early morning I drove to my friends place and rebuilt there those rearaxle tubes. INA needle bearing rings are very good quality stuff, maybe too hardred. Today grease is so much better than long time ago, so surfaces and bearings have much longer life. OK, pastdays they used those cars daily, now a days those are only hobby use. Monday I need to wash parts, change differential bearings, install new seals inside of tubes. start to put together with new shim seals etc. Lincoln rearaxle looks good, very much stronger than Ford ones. Quality stuff.

I mentioned earlier those speedi sleeves. Those are used in industy. very thin sleeves, easy to fix shaft, if seal has made groove (leaks). I do not know if availabe inc dimension stuff. We have in our bearing import company those metric stuff.

pictures load later

Aulis

kadillackid and Blues4U like this.
  11. AULIZ

AULIZ

lincoln-12.jpg lincoln-13.jpg lincoln-14.jpg Last week Tuesday Lincoln axle was ready. New bearing, wheel bearing inner surfaces fixed, preload to differential bearings, backlash....

lincoln-4.jpg lincoln-5.jpg lincoln-6.jpg lincoln-7.jpg lincoln-8.jpg lincoln-9.jpg lincoln-10.jpg lincoln-11.jpg

kadillackid likes this.