Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Rear Trailing Arm Suspension 49-51 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jlozanojr, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jlozanojr

jlozanojr
    from San Diego

Hello,

Just wanted to run a question through the forum. I have a 51 Merc that I was considering purchasing a rear trailing arm suspension kit with airbags from nolimit engineering (http://nolimit.net/products.asp?dept=1177&pagenumber=1&sort_on=number&sort_by=ASC).

Anyone have any experience with this kit?

Lastly, as I am a novice in rear suspension, would this kind of suspension be something a novice can put together without a kit?

Just wanted to get some ideas.

Jesse

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There was a lengthy thread several months ago here on the Hamb about trailing arm suspension......you might see if you can find it.

I have no personal experience with No-Limit Engineering, but know they make numerous rod parts/kits and believe they have a good rep.

Look for the thread........I was a multiposter, I will see if I can find the title and edit this post.

Ray

Edit: the thread is titled "Building Trailing arm suspension for the Chev" and was active around 5/31/10...........lots of good commentary to consider.........

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  3. jlozanojr

jlozanojr
    from San Diego

Ty Ray.... Ill take a look.

4. terryr

terryr
    from earth

I'd want more than one small pic before I coughed up that dough.

5. budd

budd

6. jlozanojr

jlozanojr
    from San Diego

Hey Terryr....I came across their product via an article on rodandcustommagazine website. But ur right... i def wouldnt fork over that kind of money based on a pic..thats why i wanted to see if anyone here has purchased their products.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com...talls_trailing_arm_rear_suspension/index.html

hey budd thanks for the link...Ill take a look. Seems like a lot of people on this forum are capable of making their own setup. I think this is something i might pursue a lil further.

7. budd

budd

i checked out the rod and custom install, one thing i would do different is wait to set the pinion angle till after it is installed, the u-bolts will hold it in place and still allow you to rotate the diff. then tack the shoes to the diff, i do the same thing with a leaf spring setup, something else is they use square tubes where stock arms are like an i-beam, or two c-chanels back to back, an i-beam can twist some, a tube can not, i wish they would of shown what happens when one wheel is as low as it can go and the opposite wheel is up against its stop, something has to flex.

8. studeboy

studeboy

jlozanojr: I looked at the article and the one part that MIGHT be a bit difficult is the front mount, otherwise all other parts could be made at home. The tabs on the front mount should be angled to match the arms, not straight. The way they are has the ends in bind already and not a more neutral position.

budd: I agree with your method of setting the pinion angle though the tack welds could be ground to change it if neccesary. Would you agree that the Johnny Joints offer considerably more movement than the stock bushing in a OEM trailing arm. I believe that they would give enough to compensate for the lack of twist in the tubes themselves.

9. budd

budd

i'm not sure how much movement those joints have, the stock rubber ones are pretty soft, and they do allow for twisting, i dont see how these joints could twist, i have changed the stock arms and when there unhooked from the rear can be moved all around i any direction.