Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear tire/body clearance on Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gimpapotamus, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

Im starting do some mock up on my '29 coupe project and could use some expertise from fellow HAMBers. This is a very slooooow project due to funding. Imagine that... Its also my very first build. Anyway, I have a 9 inch rear end that I want to center the pumpkin on. Which would require taking 2 1/2 inches from the driver side tube. I also think it make the gap between the body and tires look much better. Before I get to carried away, can someone give me some advice on how much clearance seems to be just right between the tires and the body? I dont want it to rub when the rear end articulates. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. First off, are those the ACTUAL size/backspace wheels and tires you will be running? Make sure you take that into account!

3. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

Yes, I definitely have that in mind. Good call! Im hoping to find a baseline of opinions from experience to see what distance people are keeping the tire from the body at its closest point. That way I can choose the correct backspace for wheels after altering the rear end. Thank you Tman.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have a little over 1 inch between my tire sidewall and the quarter panel. Hasn't touched and seems fine. I wouldn't go any closer though...

[​IMG]

5. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

I narrowed both sides on my 9" and centered the pinion, i only have a 1/2" on each side wtih a 4 link and panhard bar, it very seldem rubs in 5000 miles, but that is what i wanted. I would suggest about 1" on each side.

6. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

Thank you guys! Thats exactly what I was looking for! Absolutely awesome cars by the way.

7. tethercarguy

tethercarguy
    from Vista, CA

You can also jack up your car and put 2x4s under one of the rear tires simulating going in a driveway etc., and see how much your clearance changes.

8. Yea, this is an old thread. But I'd like to get some input and maybe some pics from the rear on some A's here.
    -Pat

9. Also remember that when setting up the tire in the fenderwell if you run fenders have the fenders on when you set up the rearend.

10. OK, heres where I'm at, 8" ford rear with adaptors to fit my 35 wires with 7.50x16 firestones. (all mock up so far not actually under my 30A. The inside tire bulge to the other tire inside bulge measures 52" Does anyone know if that'll look OK or will it be too spread out for the body? Any thoughts would be greatly appriciated.
    -Pat

11. ttt for day shift. :)
    -Pat

12. If you can ultimately reach your arm down between the tire and the wheelwell and touch the axle housing, you should be good. These things don't have much suspension travel and most is "up and down". Better, appearance wise, that it's close (without rubbing under max. travel) than too far out from the body. That can tend to get kinda hokey looking if extreme. Just my random uneducated thoughts.:D

13. If you only have a 1/2 inch do you slap your body if you get a flat?

Dreddybear- have you had a flat?

14. Funny thing is nobody takes pics of the back of their cars. The shots are always 3/4 or on an angle.
    -Pat

15. ..............................So true. Can someone help this guy out with a dead-on from the rear shot.

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Here's a dead on back shot from kind of recently. As you see I switched wheels which changed the spacing a tad. There's about just under 2" between the tire and the qtr panel.

[​IMG]

17. Thanks guys for the Help.
    Anyone else got a rear shot? :)
    -Pat

18. Fenders

Fenders

19. Fenders

Fenders

That's a 2WD S-10 axle, 47" between backing plates, 235/70R15 tires, as I recall the wheel backspace is 3 inches. I have about an inch between the tire and wheelwell.

pat59 likes this.
  20. Thanks Fenders!
    -Pat

21. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

I have 1 1/4" and it never hits. IMG_0993.JPG

22. image (1).jpeg I can just get my arm between slicks and quarter panel. This looks good and never touches!

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

S10 rear with 1" adapters to go from 4 3/4" to 5 1/2" bolt pattern... 1929 retake 012.JPG

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Lookin' great, Milo.:)

25. Moby, Mikey ,scrap metal and lothiandonl,,
    Thanks guys for you assistance in this issue. I think now that I'll be OK with the 66 mustang rear,7/8" adaptors and my 35 wires on 750x16 firestones.
    Thanks again,
    -Pat

26. ty johnson

ty johnson

Here's mine without centering the 9 inch

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hey "pat59", the s10 rear is 54.5" backing plate to backing plate and with the 1" adapters makes it 56.5".. Hope this helps...

28. And the orig. model a is just over 50" backing plate to backing plate.Right? What's The wheel off set that you're running?gotta be 3-3.5.
    -Pat

29. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

They are stock 48 Merc rims 5" wide...

30. Looks good.
    -Pat