Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rear T spring on A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chiliman, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Doane Spencer used one on his '32 so it must work!

2. jr9162

jr9162

What did you use to adapt the Merkcruiser to the 86 F100 tranny?

3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Just for a visual, here's my tub with 650-16 tires and 3 1/2" Drop Axle up front, and 700-17s and the stock A spring out back...

[​IMG]

...and the same but with the Model T spring minus the second-to-largest leaf in back...

[​IMG]

...It is a small but noticeable drop.

4. I used a T spring under my A bone. It did require some work. Firstly I had the main leaf shortened a tiny bit and the eyes re-rolled as the spring was bit wide for my diff and the shackles sat at a steep angle. After the shortening the shackles sit at a nice 45 degree angle. This may or may not matter in your case as my spring perches had been welded on.

Next we machined up a set of spacers on the lathe to accommodate the difference in spring width when using the stock A shackles. I also had a set of brass spring bushings pressed in at the spring shop which we reamed to fit the A shackles.

Then we milled up a small pair of spacers/spring pads that where rosette welded into the rear crossmember under the U bolts to correct the difference in spring and crossmember arcs and afford a nice solid place for the spring to rest inside the crossmember and bolt up nice and snug as it should.

Lastly I used a set of stock Model T 2" spring retaining pads on the U bolts as they had a provision to hold the spring centred and the correct angle to fit nicely on the spring and worked perfectly with the Model A U bolts

Attached Files:

-Brent- likes this.
  5. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I'm getting ready to lower the back of my roadster and have been thinking of a t spring. Which one do you use? I see a bunch of different spring packs listed for the t that are different number of leaves. Do you just use whatever you can get then remove leaves until you get ur tons it where you want?. The other option I have considered is possibly reverse eyeing my stock a main leaf or purchasing a reverse eye main from a-springs. Then assembling pack with a few less leaves. From what I can tell it should do the same thing. Is my thinking correct on this.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!