Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear suspension questions (superduty rear in 31AA)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scl009, Oct 20, 2011.

1. scl009

scl009

The axle I've picked out is a 10.5 inch ford sterling from a 2001 F350. Its going under the rear of a 31 ford model AA.

The rear spring shackle around the axle tube was originally bolted to the axle in two peices clamping down on the axle tube, I would think allowing some rotational movement between the axle tube and the spring shackle since the area has grooves for greasing. My plan was to draw up some custom brackets and weld them to the tube. After some thought on the subject I was wondering if I was taking away from some vital component of the suspension by making the connection to the axle tube completely stationary.

I was also going to use the original radius rods but move them out to attach to the frame, possibly take out a few leaves from the rear leaf springs and add in some shock absorbers.

So I guess in short, with just welding brackets to the tube am I going to be creating the perfect situation for severe wheel hop? Am I just completely ignorant and forgetting another vital component because I'm going from a torque tube to modern drive shaft?

Any advice appreciated,
    Scott

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You won't need radius rods on the open drive rear you're putting in the AA.
    The spring brackets should be welded to the axle tubes since the open drive will allow the rearend to move and the driveshaft yoke slips in and out to accomodate that movement.
    You may need a torque rod to limit third member rotation.
    You might be better to go with a conventional dual spring setup on that AA truck though.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. scl009

scl009

I'm trying to keep the original dual spring setup and am trying to wrap my head around the components that were present and what I need to update what I have.

Forgot about the slip yoke thanks, I also didn't realize that it was enough to accomodate that movement.

Are the dual rear springs enough to locate the axle laterally? Should I think about adding in a panhard bar or are all these extra components I'm considering inappropriate for the application I'm seeking. I won't be going mudding or taking this beast down the track.

Scott