Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear SUSPENSION MATERIALS list ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigd4xman, May 15, 2013.

1. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Looking for some advice here. Working on my Model A with stock frame and spring and putting a Ford 8 inch with ladder bars and mounting the spring over the axle similar to stock.

This is my first time building this type of setup and need to know what I need for building the ladder bars, ladder bar mounts, spring and shock mounts materials wise. Also, what could be used to build a front crossmember. Thicknesses, how much, your experiences and pics would be helpful.

I know all this could be bought but times are tough, money is tight, and there is something to be said for doing it yourself rather than flip open a catalog and break out the plastic.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd suggest looking at a number of "kits" similar to what you want to build and start writing your own materials list.
    The list isn't hard or long

Rod ends of choice.
    X ft/inches of tubing of the correct size
    Y sq ft of the correct thickness of flat plate for brackets
    And what ever else ends up on the list.

Price out the items on the list and compare said prices to kit prices from the vendors you already checked and compare the cost of building the pieces to the cost of buying them.

Also check one of our fellow HAMBers http://www.welderseries.com/ for pieces that are pre cut if you don't have access to facilities to cut the brackets.

3. evintho

evintho

I'm all about budget builds! Had quite a day at Pick-N-Pull. On my 'T' roadster I used '99 Land Rover Discovery trailing arms, $35 for the pair and mounted them to my 8" Maverick rear.

[​IMG]

Make your own brackets. I had some 5/16" steel laying around so I fashioned up the rears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made the fronts outta 1/4" plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know you're running a transverse leaf spring but might I suggest coilovers? Forget $350 for aftermarket. These '88 Subaru units ran $18 for the pair. About perfect for a lightweight 'T' or A-bone!

[​IMG]

For a front crossmember I used some 3/16" thick 2-5/8" piping that we use for railing systems at work. I Z'd the front 3" too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Anyone else? Need advice so I don't screw up one of the most important parts. You know what they say, 2 heads are better than one.

5. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Pretty sad when the Dick Tickle thread gets more hits than a post asking for help on something that is lord forbid actually hot rod related.

6. F&J

F&J

Dick Trickle came from dirt poor and got out of poverty and into the limelight due to hopped up cars and racing..so when you and I do the same, maybe we will get the same respect here.

If it was my car I would use 35/36 Ford rear trailing arms but set up like a true wishbone. If I could not find/afford those arms, I would grab Chevy pickup rear trailing arms from 60-72 2wd C10/C20...or copy that basic chevy setup. That's what Nascar ran under the super speedway cars for decades..like Dick Trickle did

Do a search here for "truck arm suspension" you should find plenty of info.

7. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

No disrespect meant towards Mr Trickle just get disgusted at th off topic posts all over the place these days that are supported while others go unnoticed.

8. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

hey I really like your budget minded rear susp. idea, my concern would be is it 100 percent square in the chassis, is there a panhard bar for lateral support ? if all is good then keep going on it. looks great :cool:

9. Andy

Andy

I would buy a 35-48 front unsplit stock wishbone and mount it to the bottom of the rear. The front would be a socket for the stock ball. They are plenty strong and will not bind up when moving. They can be bought really cheap. I would mount them to the existing spring mount pads on the rear to avoid any welding warpage.

10. evintho

evintho

Yeah, it's square and I mounted a panhard bar too.

11. Dont do what I did!
    Oh, and I wont tell ya just to be sure.
    Now I need some coilovers to un F my design.
    Does anyone (god forbid) make them in black?

12. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

For cheap, quick, & stout, I use Chevelle type arms & make brackets from 3x2Sq.Tubing. Chevelle,ElCominos,MonteCarlos,Cutlas,Regal. . . even New Suburbans have the arms. Grab the bolts & nuts too.

Attached Files:

13. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Thanks For the Info

14. Ga55er

Ga55er
    from Texas

Yes, thanks! I'm headed out to the pick n pull today for a similar project. Model T on stock A frame. Have my eye on a '66 C10 trailing arm setup.