Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear sub rail mod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsman41, Nov 14, 2018.

1. oldsman41

oldsman41

buddy called last night and asked me a question i dont have an answer to. I’m not the brightest light bulb in the pack but here goes. Wants to do a zee notch like in Vern Tarbell’s traditional rod. He asked me if the rear kick up to the sub rail can be done with the body on. I said probably if you take out the trunk floor but not positive. Soooo has any one here done this without removing the body. I know he had a lot of time consuming work to get the body right that is why he doesnt want to remove it. Thanks guys

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. oldsman41

oldsman41

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

4. No details, pictures, huh?

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Sure...but YOU need to give...just a coupla specifics before you get much in the way of answers..!
    Car ?
    How high does he want the "C" notch/kick-up ?
    How long ? A "C" notch, or up, all the way to the bumper ?

I know "I" don't have a Crystal ball..!

Mike

6. oldsman41

oldsman41

Sorry about that when i said Verne Tardel i thought everybody knew his stuff. Again sorry. It is a model a ford roadster 1931. Like i said he only wants to do the little kick up that Verne does i think about two inches so the sub frame rail would only need a two inch rise but I haven’t done one with the body on so dont know for sure.

7. Raunchy

Raunchy

I just looked at my Tardel book to be sure. But I don't really see any way to do it right with it on. Maybe if you unbolt it and raise it enough to get to everything but that is very iffy.

8. oldsman41

oldsman41

Yeah I’m afraid that is the case, i was hoping for his sake he wouldn’t have to take the body off again.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread reminds me of an old buddy in high school who bragged once about having sex with a girl without either one taking their clothes off, he called it zipper sex. Couldn't figure it out then and nothins changed. Question remains, even if you can, why the hell would you try it? More fun and less fight if you do it right and you avoid chaffing your Willie.

10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Think I just pissed myself a littleo_O And damnit my zippers still up!

11. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've done the kick up on two Model A's but never with the body on the frame, you have to notch the subrail. I boxed the sub rail to put the strength back in it. You also have to build a raised trunk floor, I wouldn't recommend trying to do it without pulling the body. I can't imagine why you would even try to step a frame with the body still mounted

Attached Files:

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying to modify the frame and subrails of the A with the body still on the frame reminds me of the big controversy among Texas rodders in the early 70's when the subject of removing the body from the frame to work on either or both came up. There were those who were adamant that you shouldn't do it because the body would tweak.
    While it can no doubt be done and in the past has been done I'd think that he is looking at a lot of trouble and hassle to avoid lifting the body off..

13. oldsman41

oldsman41

Yeah we talked again today, he ain’t happy but he said he will pull the body. I told him to cross brace the trunk and the cab and maybe he will not have to tweak as much this time. Hopefully.