Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear Springs on 60 BelAir

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by dtwbcs, Sep 15, 2013.

1. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

This might help;

Attached Files:

2. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I am ok with the front.I think maybe a half coil in the back might put it close.Iphone doesn't do such a good job at pics.Trying to level it at this point ,since dealing with incorrect springs;wont be able to do the "official stock"height.Learned another lesson.CHECK what they sent b4 warranty is up.Still think overall it can be done.

3. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

how much will a half coil drop the rear?

4. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

If there were 10 coils at 16.8 then each coil was about 1.7. 1/2 a coil would .8 or 7/8 or so off so, Id guess it would be about 3/4 inch drop at the fender.

5. Clevername

Clevername

Yeah, I just quoted myself. I still don't get it, that car looks low in the front -would you go measure the front?

I am not trying to be an ass. My car is real low and it shows more tire than yours does up front. I have 4 inches out of the rear and it is about level. What I am afraid you might do is 'level' it to the point that you are going to rub the driveshaft when you put some peeps in it. I have a 60 Coupe, and with my wife and kids in it, I rub a little in the rear occasionally (kids are 50lbs each). I also have stiffer shocks and beefy sway bars front and rear.

Kelvin

6. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ok guys, went and measured . Here is what I found : LF 9",RF 8 3/4", LR 14 1/4", RR 13 7/8".At the front I measured in front of the wheel, centered. In the rear, where rear fender met the valance.
    Hoop-couldn't read those numbers on that diagram,with car in pic.
    At this point ,just want to level car.Been there done that,lowered 3",and when family in car I had issues like Kelv.
    23.5" front wheel openings.Rear is 19.25"

so...Want it up,not necessary stock at this point;but level.forgot how nice of a ride stock springs gave the car.Going for comfort here.Yes Kelvin,those front springs don't match my car EITHER.BOY did I get taken from the get go....just trying to "use what I got"at this point...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  7. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Man o man...kick the dawg....throw the wrench...stomp my foot

8. Clevername

Clevername

My advice is to leave the rear where it is and buy 1.5 cut springs for the front (if you don't have dropped spindles that is). You can get the cut springs for like $90 a pair.

9. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

10. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Danny, click on the pic, then you can click it again to get it on a page by itself. Then you can zoom in with the Ctrl Key (Bottom left) and + or - to adjust the zoom.

The easiest measurement is at the bumper guards if they are in place and bumper is straight. Should be in 11.4 (11 3/8) Front and 11.2 (11 3/16) Rear.

You can use spring insulators as shims to level the car, auto parts stores carry them.

Attached Files:

11. Clevername

Clevername

12. Clevername

Clevername

13. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ok can I salvage and get a decent look & ride with what's on my car? And how:confused:
    OR should I just chalk it up as a learning experience; and order new coils front & rear...want it level looking if possible. Already lowered 3"(Jamco kit)-didnt like it. This is what led me wanting back at/near stock height but level looking :rolleyes:

14. Clevername

Clevername

I am not sure if stock is level. I thought my car was stock when I got it, but apparently it had cut springs in the rear.

I would think your safest bet would be to go with the stock springs all around. What did your Jamco kit include -just springs/shocks?

15. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

level the rear with the insulators in the rear, remember they were not accurate to 1/8 new. Once the rear is level, reevaluate the ride quality. The front springs are stiffer than your stock springs per spec but I can't guarantee the spec.

The main thing is to take tiny steps, leveling a car is like a 4 legged stool. Everything works in the diagonal.

So take step one and lets see where you are.

Slowly you will get there...

16. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

The '60 service manual you hopefully have already will show ride height dimensions. And like I said - Call Eaton Springs.....

;)

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

I've been battling the stance on my '60 Flat top for a while now. I have the back end sitting
    where I want it but the front is way too high.... What was wrong with your Jamco springs?
    I have an extra set of two inch lowering springs for the front that is brand new. Do you
    want to do some trading? Or I might be interested in just buying them from you. I'm trying
    to lower my front end another inch or more.... Good luck, we will get it figured out..

18. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

19. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

If not raining,will work on the coils this wknd

20. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Okay from the center of the wheel well,what should it read?

21. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

20 5/8 Front - 20 1/2 rear

Attached Files:

22. 327Eric

327Eric

[​IMG]Here is a picture of my ElCamino. I just replaced the sagging original springs with new big block (348)station wagon springs. My rear springs are rated at 2806 pounds.( moog 6041, the highest weight rating i could find) It raised the rear of my car a good 2 inches. I have an iron head 427 up front, and am running 225,70 14 front tires, and 235/70 15 rears. Mine is no where close to the stink bug look you have.

23. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Hoop
    I took 1/4 coil off over the wknd.Front is at 23.5 and the rear is NOW 18.5 to center of ww.
    Wished I saw those spec heights earlier:rolleyes:

gonna drive it for a while...

24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you running 14 inch wheels? My front fender wells are 25 inches from the ground and I'm running 15s....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Wow, my apologies. I blew the pic up 4 x to get better measurements.

21.2 in front, 17.8 in rear. This will also vary by size and tire pressures.

The roof should be 56.5 above the ground from just behind the windshield to just behind the front door.

If you have an inclinometer , or can download one for your phone you can measure the windshield slope, it should be 54 degrees. If lower than 54 the rear is low (or front is high), if higher it is raked toward the front. From your measurements it seems the rear is close but front high.
    Again I apologize for not taking enough care calculating the wheel opening heights.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  26. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

So the front needs to drop more:confused:
    I thought it was pretty low already

27. slammed

slammed

Whoa. Take some pix on a flat, level ground of your car. AND let the rear settle some as you just made those cuts. You are looking to have it sit level as possible, correct?

28. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

The roof should be level from behind the to about 8 inches past the front door rear edge. That height was originally specced at 56.5 inches. The windshield slope is 54 degrees.

Here are some bottom of rocker measurements.

Attached Files:

29. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

ok,will let it settle for awhile.Can check dimensions also...

30. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Danny, be sure to ck tire pressures and bounce each end a few times.
    Here are a couple more easy checkpoints;
    Center of headlamps to ground= 26 1/2
    Center of Taillamps to ground = 22 5/8

Those are directly from the Chevy drawings, not calculated. Also the base tire was 7.50x14 which was 27 inches tall or about 13 inch loaded radius.

Don't sweat 1/4 inch or less unless you are being a perfectionist.