Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear spring?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Welderboy60, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

2. yep , that curved one is a rear spring for `32-`34

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

Ok, I didn't get my text along with the pics, but is that old spring I just taken out supposed to look like a twisted pretzel? And being the changes the center line of where my rear diff is hung and I in need of longer hangers? I've got the old stuff welded to the Olds diff but have a new set of fabbed longer hangers here now. Give me some thoughts.

4. The one with the bend is 32-34 Ford.
    The straight one looks like a Posie 36-40

What crossmember is in your frame? What year frame?

5. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...you will also notice that the eyes of the curved spring is/will not be 90 degrees to the rear axle housing,...according to pete and jakes the spring hangers are set at 85 degrees,...check with them to be correct....miller

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

It's a 34 truck. Can't I use the straight spring with hangers square to the centerline of my rear diff?

7. Yes you can. But, you will most likely need to modify the rear cross member and move it so that everything lines up.

Another option, and my preference, is to use a "flattened" rear cross member from a 35 to 48 Ford. With this option you can dial in your rear end ride height.

8. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

Thanks for the info.