Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear Spring Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by louisb, Jan 15, 2018.

1. louisb

louisb

Hi,

I just want to verify that if your using a 36 rear axle and bones with a stock 32 chassis, with the curved rear crossmember, that a 40 front spring will fit without hacking up the crossmember or spring. Is that correct? Car is a 28 roadster on a 32 chassis.

Also, who sells a stock 40 front spring? All the ones I can find have the bumps for nylon bushings.

Thanks,

—louis

2. bct

bct

front spring is narrow enough to fit in the cross member for sure , not sure about the width.

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Doesn't the 36 rear axle already have a spring behind set up?? Why not just use the 36 spring and modify the 32 rear cross member???

4. The 40 front spring is great for wide tire cars and narrow rear ends and making your own spring mounts. Ford made them, they aren't hard to come by.

If you're using 36 bones use a straight spring and move the modified crossmember back because the spring mounts are longer.

You might even want to get a 35-40 rear crossmember and flatten it to get your ride height

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018

5. louisb

louisb

Thanks for the input guys. After giving it more thought I am going to get a stock 40 rear spring. That seems to make the most sense.

Thanks,

—louis

6. roundvalley

roundvalley

If you use a stock '40 REAR spring, you will have to grind the spring to fit the curved '32 crossmember.

7. banjorear

banjorear

Just one thing to decide, if you ever plan to add a quick change, the '40 spring is in the way. That's why folks use an A or T spring. The arch clears the center section. If not plans to add one, your good to go.

8. louisb

louisb

I have looked at a couple of threads where people have done this and it doesn't look too bad. At first I was worried about compromising the spring but after giving it some thought you shouldn't be any worse than a 40 front spring.

No, no quick change for this project. I have a good set of 3.54 gears for the '36 rear. Should be a good driving combination with the later 29 tooth gear cluster going in the trans.

Thanks,

--louis