Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear shock mounts 1954 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bummer, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Bummer

Bummer

I´m putting air shocks on the back and I have new Max-Air shocks but they are a little bit too short. I want to get a new pair of lower shock mounts that will bring the mounting point upper. Is there a Place where I can buy these or do I have to make my own?. Other possibility is to make the shock longer at the top By making an adapter. Are those still for sale (I know they were back in the day)?

2. I would recommend making a cross member that goes between the frame rails for the upper mount. The factory upper shock mounts go through the floor into the trunk, or cargo area on a wagon. You dont want to put Air shocks on the factory upper mounts as it will eventually push thru the floor with much weight put on them. Chassis Engineering makes one that they include with their leaf spring kit but i believe it can be bought seperately.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bummer: do what Jason says. You can make a crossmember or purchase one. Do not use the floor pan mounts for air shocks. I don't even like them for the stockers.

4. Bummer

Bummer

Yeah, I know.
    I was about to do it when body was off but forgot and noe the frame and floor are painted and I would not want to ruin them. It would have to be something that I can bolt on.

5. Bummer

Bummer

Did not find it. The set yes but not separate. Maybe I just make one...

6. yeah just make one, real easy, i've made one before and just bolt it right in on the flanges of the frame.

7. Bummer

Bummer

Not enough room down there. I forgot to mension that i have 4" lowering blocks and therefore rear axle is quite high and ground clearance (obviously) pretty low. I´m only putting the air shocks to occasionally lift the car up a bit when in a bad Place (like driving into my garage).
    I will make some reinforcements on the upper shock mounts and if they breaks then they break.

8. Walton's Fabrication show a pic of one, but cannot see a price or part number.

9. RMONTY

RMONTY

I just happen to have a Chassis Engineering one for reference. 100% bolt on....once you have fabbed it up. Shouldnt be too difficult. This is for my 1952 Chevy but I cant imagine it being much different. This is the "upper" shock mount obviously. It bolts to the underside of the frame rails. IMG_6873.jpg IMG_6871.jpg

10. Bummer

Bummer

As I said earlier, there just isn´t enough room to make that work with my current set up. Rear axle is too close to the floor. If I was to make new mounts they would have to be separate, maybe something like this (not so tall, though) Shock mount.jpg