Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear Shock Location?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bostonhemi, Sep 16, 2013.

1. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I Wanted to know why there are different locations for rear shocks. Some are mounted in front of the rear end, others are mounted behind the rear end and some have 1 in front with the other in back. I've tried to use the search feature but it keeps comming up sry no match in the tech archive. I would like to mount the rear shocks in my 31 dodge 3w coupe in front of the rear end straight up n down and the panhard right behind the rear end. Any input would be appreciated . TY

2. F&J

F&J

I read that the search feature has a temporary glitch. It was said to use the search feature at the very top of the page in the black backround

edit, I sometimes use google search. Try there using something like "shock mounting HAMB"

3. Is not the Dodge a parallel leaf rear?? No need for a panhard bar there.

Shocks are mounted, in many instances, as room permits. Yet the best position, is probably about 30º off vertical, giving the best compromise between effectiveness and travel.

The reason that some are mounted one in front and one behind have to do with axle wrap. With one behind and one in front, when the axle wraps, one shock is in compresion (easy damping) and one in rebound (heavy damping), and, as such, resists axle wrap quite well.

Whatever you do, make sure that you have adequate travel, and that the shock never acts as the suspension stop.

Cosmo

4. Cerberus

Cerberus

^^^Staggered shocks also help prevent wheel hop.

5. stimpy

stimpy

cosmo is right , the straight up shocks will provide the best dampening but a stiff ride , but body sway will increase a little more if top of the shocks are too far inward . but the mosty comon mistake is running too short a shock . you must measure the axle at full extension ( lift the body and let the axle drop down without any restraint on the springs) and add 2" to the measurement for body seperation caused by axle rotation . otherwise the suspension will extend then hit and it makes the ass end skate, or you will break the shock internally or the shock mounts .

6. The reason one is forward and one is back is for economics, only one type of spring plate/shock mount to make, not of a left and right. JW

7. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys for the helpful info.

8. What kind of shocks are you using? HRP

9. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I havn't decided yet. I'm working on lowering the rear first.