Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear Quarter Windows-Chopped 50 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Chop50, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Chop50

Chop50

Hi All,
    I am building a chopped 1950 Ford Tudor and am trying to figure out a good solution for setting the glass in the rear quarter windows. It of course originally had roll up windows and rear wing windows. B-pillars are now slanted, I am basically looking to set the glass in place and have it be tight to the weather. I was thinking of building out a frame and putting rubber channel around the glass.
    Any thoughts, what have others done?
    Steve

2. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

On my '51, the factory flange surrounding the opening was preserved during the chop. The old guys at the glass shop came up with an H-profile rubber that fit both the flange and the glass plus had an additional outer channel that accepted a press-in chrome plastic trim strip. It near matched the door stainless which was bent to fit. It was still flawless 25 years later.
    right side.jpg

3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought this 49 chopped but no side glass or window bezels. I decided I wanted to have roll up rear windows and was able to just barely squeeze the window in, the channel on the rear was short.
    Sorry I don't have any pictures of how I did it.
    Edit........I failed to notice your slanted B pillars, now doing a roll up window would be darned tough.
    49 Ford x.JPG

RMR&C likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Why not glue them in with urethane?

5. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Nice ride bro!! Next to a chopped Merc, there’s nothin else on the road

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This question was ask several months ago and there were a number of responses of which I was one. I posted some pictures then. My chop also has slanted B pillars. I took a l" wide piece of 18 gauge and spot welded it over the slot on the bottom where the window used to roll down into the body. Then attach the SS edged wisker to the inside edge of the bottom of the body window opening and the bottom edge of the garnish molding as was done on the stock set up. Now you can cut a piece of stock window fuzzy channel to run along the bottom of the opening, over the piece you spot welded in to cover the old window slot and then carefully bend a second piece of window channel to fit into he opening from the back of the opening where it meets the first piece of channel up along the top of the opening to the top of the slanted B pillar and down the pillar to meet the other end of the first piece of channer you cut.. Don't attach it yet. Get a piece of cardboard or masonite and make a glass pattern. Insert it in the newly formed window channel and push it in to the opening. You will probably have to do some trimming on the glass pattern until it, with the channel surrounding it, will snuggly fit into the opening. Take the pattern back out, go to a glass shop and have them cut a glass using the pattern. Reinsert the glass in the channel surround, making sure it fits, remove the glass and channel, run a bead of silicone around the opening and push the glass and channel into the opening.
    DO NOT GLUE THE GLASS AND CHANNEL INTO THE OPENING UNTIL YOU HAVE THE CAR PAINTED. DSCF2456.JPG DSCF2457.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021