Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear ID.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mack57, Oct 19, 2016.

1. mack57

mack57

IMG_1476924250.259414.jpg
    Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me what rearend I have here? Picture attached.
    Thanks,
    Mack

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

looks like a 55-64 chevy car rear, a pic from the front might confirm. But that would probably require jacking up the car....

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ The U-Bolt/Shock mount bracket sure looks 55-57 as well. The leaf's are not attached to the frame as done on a tri-five nor does the floor pan look tri-five either. What's the project mack57 ?

4. badshifter

badshifter

IMG_1699.JPG Is that a TON of super scary welding?

5. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Would need to see a view from the front center section. Also the exhaust clamps holding the leaf springs together is a nice touch as well. Multiple manufactures used similar type rear diffs.

6. mack57

mack57

Hey all, I'll shoot a pic from the front. It's a '48 Chevy Coupe.
    No, that's not super scary welding lol, it's a rubber coating that's oozing off... bubbling from underneath.

7. Just a side question: is there some type of name or designation for the 55-64 rears in regards to size, etc?

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I'll let Squirrel give you the technical's about what traits to look for . But for now. To know the shape of a nice rear in a room several bare bottom girl's and spotting which one is your's. Well thats respect for paying attention. Oh, it help's to remember her birth mark as well. ;)

9. squirrel

squirrel

the size is 8.2" ring gear, and it's held on with 10 bolts, but that same size ring gear (but not the same in other dimensions) and bolt count was also used on a different rear end from around 64-73(?) so most folks just call it in the 55-64 rear. Or the drop out third member rear.

283john likes this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I agree on it being a Tri-Five Chevrolet rear end. I don't see a drain plug, so my guess is it's actually a 55 or 56 Chevrolet rear end. You need to have accurate information, because 55 and 56 rear ends take different axle bearings than 57's, and different axles! The third member castings of 55 and 56 rears ends are also thinner castings (weaker). Any third member, 55-64, will swap however. Brake parts and drums are the same 51-58. IF you keep that rear end, and swap to a Positraction, 1/8 inch will need to be removed from the spline ends of the axles (even a hacksaw works for this); 57 axles already have the correct length for Positraction. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  11. Holding good trumps looking good any day. :D

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There's the "Birth Marks" that I had hoped was going to be mention. Your info refer's exactly to the back side of the housing as the picture in question.