Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear glass removal without cutting the new rubber

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamcoupe, Jun 17, 2011.

1. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I installed the new rubber and rear glass in my Chevy so I could drive while I continued to work on my car. Its now time for bodywork and paint. I have a new rubber installed around the back glass and need to remove it without damaging the rubber. Do you have any suggestions on taking out the rear glass.

2. From what I know about installing glass, very little, you need a piece of cord to pull the gasket over the lip inside the car. Perhaps you can pry the gasket off the lip on the inside and get it over the lip and pull it out intact. Kinda reverse order if you will.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most good glass men should be able to slip it out without a problem. On my truck I take a flat tool and tuck the rubber back behind the pinch weld a bit at a time starting at an upper corner but i don't know if that will work on the car rubber.

4. squirrel

squirrel

If you didn't glue it in with urethane sealer, then it should come out without too much trouble. Push on the glass, slowly work the lip of the seal off the pinch weld.

5. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

6. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little dishwashing soap and water sprayed on to wet the rubber seal makes it a lot more slippery, easier to get out once you get the lip started out.