Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear engine pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RandyCH, May 2, 2009.

1. RandyCH

RandyCH
    from Minnesota

I've seen pickups with engine in the back,how is this done and with what kind of trans? I've got a 67 Dodge half ton and just scored a good 440 that would look kinda cool back there,any ideas? Also,where can i find Rambler body parts? Thanks all!

2. vapor2million

vapor2million

I seen it done with a 455 olds toronado front wheel rig in the bed of a '40 ford pu. Let me know if you want to see a pic.

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

find a medium size motor home, they were a bunch built using 440 and front wheel drive.

I have to ask,, WHY? Trucks arent useful with the bed permanantly filled.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

Like this one? It's on the bay right now.

Attached Files:

5. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

Use a V-Drive from a speed boat.

6. A short shaft 727 with a short drive shaft may work with a long box chassis. You won't have much rear suspension travel, though. There is an adapter to mate the B series Mopar to the BOP pattern bell housing. A turbo 425 behind a 440 can be done!

7. Various ways depending on where you want the motor to sit relative to the axle,
    The classic TH425/325 sits the engine fairly mid-axle and if you flip the diff the trans sits ahead of the axle.
    Corvair transaxles have been used, the classic Crown Corvair conversion allows a normal rotation V8 to sit in front of the axle.
    Corvette tranaxle can also be modified to couple up direct,
    which gives you something like this;
    [​IMG]
    You would need to have a long bed to get all of that in.
    The other possible is to use one of the many modern FWD trans which mount the motor 7 to 18 inches ahead of the axle, as the trans would be hidden under the bed you could go for that classic drag sidewinder mount motor and look even cooler.

50John likes this.
  8. rick finch

rick finch

What kind of moron would do that to a '40 p.u...... the a--hole oughta be shot!

BJR likes this.
  9. that's a nice style pick up as is. think twicw about doing it, unless you're just going for shock value.

10. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

that truck is near me iv seen it in person and its awsome although i do have to say it does make the bed of the truck rather useless which makes the truck it self rather useless as a truck

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

The only motors that should be in the back of a pickup are the ones you are getting for your next project.

scotty t likes this.
  12. Corvair did a bitchen truck,rear engined and a side gate............unless your going into pro wheelstanding and know what a pain in the ass that is,let this idea go away

13. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Any front wheel drive motor/trans/diff can be transplanted into anything, front or rear wheel drive. A Taurus SHO into the rear of a Courier pickup is an example.

14. unclechop

unclechop

[​IMG]
    A pic I lifted from the web.
    Just because it can be done Doesnt mean you should.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Perhaps try a Volks Rod? Gary

16. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

There was a Ford Econoline at the 411 drags with the engine in the back, he used a "V" drive gear box from a boat. The engine faced the rear of the van and the V drive was right behind the seats.

Michael Crown likes this.
  17. The plan has many plus points,
    It allows the chromed up motor to be 'on display' ,
    Improves traction,
    reduces frame stress,
    and gives you a handy lockable box at the front for keeping spare wheel and a few tools.

I am unconvinced by detractors who suggest that mid-mount gives rise to unsolveable handling issues, I have an old GT40, the cornering performance I would say suggests if anything that mid-mount is the way to go, seems to work just fine for every high performance sports out there, has done for decades.

For a hot rod it's a great look,
    Engine sat up in the back there is true drag style,
    And it's reasonably practical to do now,
    where as years ago there were limited ways of sitting the motor back near the axle,
    ( many of which involved multi row chains and huge sprockets, other things which you would swear made the whole thing such a bad plan that you wondered it's worth ),
    I say do it, if only because several people have told you not to,
    that should be enough in my book.

'51 Norm likes this.
  18. Look at this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

'49 Ford Coupe and natedeville like this.
  19. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Attached Files:

20. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

I like the Idea. You just make the engine compartment your trunk just put a bottom in it. Anyway I saw a 70 Dodge Truck with a Detroit 318 Truck motor in back. Turbo and all in the back all stock engine. It sat up higher than the roof of the cab of the truck.When we saw it naturally we said WHAT THE HELL ?!?!?! . It looked Great.

21. Yeh...because most people use their fixed up, show quality, cruiser trucks for actually hauling stuff around in the bed? :rolleyes:

I think Thunderace brings up some valid points as to why it's a good idea. Also...if you do it, people won't be trying to mooch your truck to help them move furniture. ;)

'51 Norm likes this.
  22. muddpile

muddpile
    from Canada

I'm one for going against the grain. I'll warn you right now, however, that it is not easy at all, that it takes HUGE engineering, and will cost at least 3 times as much to do as a conventional front engine. There is shock value, but you have to sit down and figure out if it's worth it to you. And for the record, it runs a 2.0 60' with street tires on the back aired up to 40lbs, and yes, it is street and highway driven.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. resale?????????

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

On the way to the Gatornationals a year or three ago, we saw a young kid's Toyota mini truck with a SBC mounted directly behind the cab. It had a stretched frame and a flat bed. It was a work in progress but I was surprised how nice it worked - long and low. It even might have had dualies but I'm not sure. Gary

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gawd damn! Blowback! I haven't seen that in years............ That was a good thing, but now I have laid eyes on it again I will have nightmares tonight! Why did it also bring back memory's of that brown EH Pano with the XA bonnet and Monza front!
    UGH!
    Doc.

26. I remember while trying to shoe-horn an inline six into the space previously ocupied by a rather feeble four banger ford someone passing the comment that we would be better putting it in the back.
    Given the problems we had with clearance issues, driveline, brakes, axle loadings and a dozen other things I have long since come to think that there is some logic in re-locating over-sized transplants.
    Access, header clearance, all so much better,
    you can even sit someone in the back making adjustments while you test the thing.
    It's the ideal amount of set-back, gets the full wieght of the motor and trans on the rears rather than just a bit.

27. Vdrive53

Vdrive53

I currently have short bed c10.with a 454 in the bed using an ace champion v drive it was in the april edition of street trucks magazine the set up works great , coolest thing ive ever built.and places in many car shows

28. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

One positive I see to it is it's gotta be easy to do a tune up on.

Years ago I started to do a late 80`s firebird with a Pontiac 428 and tornado trans axle. A Pontiac gt40 so to speak. Never got anywhere with it so I'd say go for it! It's the odd vehicles that draw the crowds.

29. Old thread from 09.
    I wonder if the OP did anything.

I've always had a thing for the old Ford truck with two flatheads, can't remember the two guys names.

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL