Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear end weight. Ford 9" vs. a champ style QC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superjunkman, May 26, 2009.

1. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I've got a 9" under my roadster but have found a good deal on a champ style quick change with drums set up for wide 5 wheels. The QC is huge, but I'm wondering if it's any heavier. Nearest I can figure my 9" is around 200# with drums and all. Any of you roundy round guys have a weight estimate?

2. carkiller

carkiller

Just about double. Being the rear axle its unsprung wheight.

3. HotRod33

HotRod33

It is heavier but it is way cooler too.... look at how much fun you can have when you can change the gears in 10 minutes........

4. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Am I reading this right? Allmost 400# for a Champ style QC?

5. Stick004

Stick004
    from Missouri

That can't be right. That statement doesn't even make sense.

The 9" is also unsprung weight. But being "unsprung" (meaning the springs aren't holding up the weight of the axle) has absolutely no effect of how much an object actually weights.

A friend of mine has a Winters QC. When he makes me help him shuffle it around his garage to make room for more "stuff" (ie crap... LOL @ Glenn) it is very similar to my 60" wide, 31 spline, big bearing 9". If not a bit lighter...

6. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

If any dirt track guys could give me a decent weight estimate I would be indebted!

Thanks in advance.

7. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

About 400 lbs.like he said. They are heavy.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd say lighter, Mabey, if it has the iron P/U bells and drums which would be it's heaviest config, but if i cant pick the one i'm building up i'm gunna kill myself trying. It hasn't got to final assembly yet i'll let you guys know if i have to go to the hospital

The newer configs with live axles and disks are really light, i can and have picked them up and tossed them over my shoulder i doubt over 150#

9. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I just got smart and called Winters and they said about 200#. Thanks for the advice guys.

10. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

9" Ford 28 spline axles no brakes etc. 205lbs, Winters 10" champ HD QC 140lbs without axles . axles 31 splines 38lbs,QC total 178lbs without brakes.

Ago

11. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!!!!!

That's the facts. I love it. Thanks Ago.

12. Just weighed a Speedway Engineering Super Max and it came it right at 140 without the brakes, so considerably less than a 9". Wonder what the heck these guys have that weigh 400 lbs.?

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

3/4 ton P/U Iron bells and brakes weigh one hell of a lot, I'd guess the heaviest QC could be over 250# but if he is wide 5 that means probably aluminum brakes atleast

14. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Now I'll help you out and buy that scrap 9" buy the pound.

15. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

It's 1 wheel drive:D

16. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

I can fix that, send me a pm.

17. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Be careful with Winters. Its beautiful stuff and nicely made, But the gorillas that assemble it at the factory have an IQ that's below room temperature. and they really cop an attitude when you bring assembly errors to their attention.

18. There's a brilliant statement:rolleyes:

As stated above, the weight will be in the same ballpark as the 9" (a little heavier) but the cool factor will be x10!

Steve

19. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

my frankland qc is quite a bit lighter than a 9 inch.. i can pick my qc up by myself.. i cant pick the 9 inch up..

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

These things COULD be built with stock Ford truck axle housings, hubs, and drums...all iron. I think THAT combo would way a lot, probably enough to completely destroy the handling of a racer...each hub/drum unit is about a double hernia in original iron form.
    Ron H, flathead guru, ran in the Danbury Flathead league of modified circlr track coupes into the '70's. All those cars ran Champion type QC's, the only really expensive parts of the cars. Ron said that the QC was almost mandatory, becaues 9" Ford rears were too heavy and hurt handling badly...the QC's I saw in use were all aluminum, no truck parts visible, and that was before the days when light castings were common for the 9".

21. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

They have the very heavy *unobtainium* axles in theirs....... ;^)

CB

22. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

23. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I think it's qc time. thanks for all the info guys.