Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear end noise diagnosis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddon, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Here's the deal. My 37 Coupe has a 10 bolt Chevy under it. Lately its been starting to make some noise, and I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
    Once I do I will report what I find, but it the meantime thought it might be fun to see what folks think it might be.
    OK, so it started out with a bit of a whine, or really more of a Whir under deceleration. It progressed (regressed?) to making the same noise during Left hand turns (but not right). It is now a bit noisy in a straight line as well, while still making the other sounds, but still not on right hand turns.
    It also has a bit of a vibration at speed that is getting progressively worse - I suspect driveline angle here as the clown that put the rear end in (before I got the car) had it off center with the perches the wrong width (causing the spring to bind a bit once it was forced onto the pins, I fixed that by slotting the hols in the perches slightly side to side, but didn't think to check the angles at that time as I hadn't noticed the vibration).

I hope to get it on the lift soon, but am curious what some of you folks think it might be.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. I vote worn/damaged carrier bearings

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it makes a noise on a left turn and not right I would guess an axle bearing on that noise. On the other noise when you decl I would guess pinion bearing.

4. I'm kind of leaning towards the right rear wheel/axle bearing being bad. Funny if it is two different bearings that they both decided to make noise at about the same time.
    If it turns out to be too messed up I am installing a 9" disc brake rear that i have been holding onto for just such a reason

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I'm with Saltflats

6. As stated above it seems odd that two bearings would fail simultaneously and that's why I went with a carrier bearing . Under the right conditions they will give you a constant noise while going straight and the tone or frequently of the noise will change on turns. If you want to read a good article on diagnosing differential noises take a look at this link
    http://www.ringpinion.com/technicalhelp/ContentFrame.aspx?FilePath=~%2FContent%2FHowTo%2FGeneralInfo%2F%2FDiagnosing_Noise_%28Part_1%29.inc

7. Thanks Moose - interesting reading. You may be right about the carrier bearings. I hope to tear into it next week ~ if I get the Anglia back together that is.

8. 61 chevy

61 chevy

is it a pos, or open rear end ??

9. Open ~ a one legged dog :D

10. sounds like wheel bearing.

11. on my service truck, i had a noise/symptom just like you described. i was prepared for the worst but it turned out that the pinion nut loosened up.
    so i am going to guess you have a pinion bearing problem?

12. An update without a cure. I pulled the rear cover off, pulled the spiders and the right axle. The axle bearings appeared good, and made no noise when the axle was spinning freely without the spiders. Also no lateral play. The same with the carrier bearings. I didn't see the above idea and will go back and check the pinion nut. Stay Tuned.

13. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

how could that have come loose? should be a locking nut, with around 150 ft lb's on it. if that is the cse, I can understand it making the noise your hearing.

14. i had done a pinion seal the year before so i either did not tighten it enough, or the lock nut was worn or a combination of the two.
    that is why i suggested a bearing problem

15. maybe the pinion/nut/bearing/assembly if all else looked tight....

shims all looked good? in place, I have seen them walk before...I do wonder if maybe loose pinion, causing the whirring? maybe even cause case wear in pinion area, maybe there is movement, maybe even starting to misshape due to play...also anything obvious on teeth - on r and p?

16. All the bearings and shims were in place, tight and looked new. The gear pattern looks really good. This rear end only has a few thousand miles on it. It is all new parts from Yukon Gear - I mean EVERYTHING was new. Even the brakes and backing plates were new. It is the later 10 bolt with the 8.5" gear, not the early 8.25"

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'm leaning pinion bearing/or backed-off nut on this. Maybe check the torque on the nut?

18. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I say 9" with disk brakes.

19. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I've got a noise in my O/T truck and have been trying to figure out where or what it is. While looking through my service manual, Chevrolet suggested installing "chassis ears" to help find the problem. So yesterday I did a Google search for "chassis ears" and ordered a set; which are a 6 channel listening device, that can be had for under $100.

20. Don, what was your backlash measurement?

You did measure when you had the cover off, right...

21. im wondering the same as others, backlash, clearance....if nothing is defective or broken...keep us posted

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

We were talking about the whine in my van's rear end on the way home from the swap meet last weekend and I joked that it was time for some sawdust. Steve piped up "no, bananas". Bananas? Never heard that one before.

23. i thought bananas were for tailpipes?

24. hence the term; "grease monkey"

25. stimpy

stimpy

being Yukon doesn't sell a assembled unit , its parts you put together , check the spider gears and side gears inside to make sure the measurements are correct , also if the axles are used , check the splines on them for wear and the c clip buttons on the end as if they are worn it will cause some play , and eventually the button will shear off . and the axle will depart , anywear on the cross pin where the gears ride is also not acceptable .

being it's a yukon , you can call them and ask they are very helpfull . I deal with Bruce Ext.5517

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  26. Could just be a u joint in the drive shaft

27. The axles are Yukon 30 spine and are new units as well. The spiders and set up measures out correct. Every part in the diff is new from Yukon, from the carrier to the cross shafts, spiders to the R&P. Thanks for the lead on Bruce, after I check the pinion nut, if that doesn't cure it I will call him.

U joints are also new (same miles as the rear) are right with no play and the needles look perfect . I've also never heard a U Joint make these types of noises at the varying speed's and cornering loads.

28. dont want to get off course..but it is also somethimg how sounds can transmit...i know a very sharp mechanic as in ase certified, built a ton of sick machines, porsche tech full time gig, pulled rear, rebuilt...noise turned out to be in trans...can you get on lift safe? run it in gear, do a walk around?

29. We ran it with the rear end in the air and wheels turning. It immediately was evident that it was coming from the right rear, as suspected from the first time I heard it while driving. A stethoscope confirmed the area. So I pulled the axle again (I hate C Clip axles and having to drain the damn diff each time) and looked at the bearing and axle. Both are relatively new from Yukon and seemed fine. Axle mic'd out OK. For the few bucks I went a got a New SKF (Made in USA!) bearing and a new seal and put it all back together - same damn noise! I have another idea that I won't comment on until I try it, but hopefully tonight I will give it a shot .....
    To be continued
    Stay tuned boys and girls

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got similar symptoms in an Astro van rear (whatever that is), sounds like right rear but despite not being able to detect any play I also drained and pulled the axle, no wear. Also not a hint of shrapnel in the oil. Hope whatever you find helps us both.