Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear end length

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XxStrait-EdgexX, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Does anyone have the slightest clue what the length of the stock rear-end of a 1950 dodge is???? I know its kind of a long shot, but Im not able to measure it and Im planning on replacing it with something beefier thats the same length or close to it. Thanks

2. Thats what I meant, quit bustin my balls :D... yes I do bu Im not home and Im at a swap meet, Im doing this on my phone...not easy.

3. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I can't find exactly what you want but from what I CAN find the 49 Plymouth is 58-59 inches backing plate to backing plate. Hope it helps

4. Not sure about the Dodge, but my 50 Plymouth coupe measured 60 1/8" outer drum to outer drum. (Where the wheels seat.)

The Dodge is probably the same.
    Their bodies seem to be the same size as the Plymouth's.

An easy to Find Ford 9" is an early 60's era Ford half ton.
    Those are commonly 61 1/2" measured with the same method.

So that's roughly 3/4" wider each side and would be easily accomodated with 4" backspace wheels and if you didn't get crazy with wheel width.

My coupe had 3" backspace factory steel wheels.

One nice thing about the Plymouth's and probable the Dodge's too is that the wheel housing is very roomy.

Back in the day, I stuck a pair of 8" wide slicks onto the stock rear-end of my 51 Plymouth.
    No problems and no rubbing.

Course, there wasn't enough power to break anything, but it sure was easy to go sideways in the rain.

Done just for fun and to get to payday where I could buy a new pair of tires.

5. Alright, that should be enough for me to find something

6. rodknocker

rodknocker