Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear C Notch Needed in Deuce Hi-Boy Frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dan, May 30, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Trying to decide if I need to C notch the rear of a frame I'm building from a set of ASC rails for a hi-boy roadster. I like the stance of the Phil Cool 1978 AMBR deuce. This car will run about 30" diameter slicks on the rear (possibly pie crust) and sit high in the rear.

I'm getting ready to weld in boxing plates and figured after that I'll mock it up with body, rear end, wheels & tires, etc. to see if I need to notch the frame. I don't want to if its not needed. Its extra work and I like the look of the frame without it, however it would be easier to do it now.

What do you think, go ahead and do it or wait and see?

Thanks, Dan

2. 296ardun

296ardun

Presume this would be for axle clearance...how stiff will your springs be? If you're using an arched "A" transverse spring, it should be stiff enough to keep the axle housing from hitting.....But other who have done this more recently than me may have better answers...

3. roundvalley

roundvalley

Bottom line is that it is easier to do now. I used a JW rails and a '36 rear spring and a flattened '40 crossmember. Glad i used a C notch. What a pain in the ass if I had not used the C notch.

If you don't C notch, be sure to only tack weld in case you need a fix.

4. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

I've got a '40 Ford rear spring I was thinking about using with a leaf or two removed.

5. racemad55

racemad55

Don't think the Phil Cool roadster had a notch,just saying if your building a look-a-like .

6. What crossmember and spring are you going to use?

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I used a T rear spring and crossmember, with two grown men in the car it bottoms out a bit on big bumps. Still glad I didn't notch it, but if it were any closer...

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Do the 'C' notch, but DON'T just take half the cross section of the frame out at its arch!(done lots of Deuce frames, and still do)
    A HAMB member had a build thread and impressed me. (in the 'Kickup with C' area)

He C'd the frame, and boxed it...but the boxing plate was 1/4" thick, and instead of following just the upper frame rail profile, he added to the arc, making the boxing plate 1.5" higher than the frame profile. (extra 1/4" profile went from 6" ahead of and behind the 'C', just a gradual graceful arc above the cross section of the frame, welded in and faired with the 11 gauge boxing plates)
    It was inside the fender well, only visible from under the car...but wise to do, at the weakest longitudinal point on the chassis!

Baron likes this.
  9. Rolling Bones do it that way also.

10. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Atwater Mike - Sounds like the best way to go if I have to do this.

zombiesnyc - I'm using a '40 rear spring and will build a crossmember with square tubing.

I guess I'm just being lazy and hoping to avoid some extra work so I could move this project along. You guys really think I need a notch for a roadster that sits like I'm wanting? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

11. F&J

F&J

Those 2 pics of Cools' car definately sits lower in the rear than mine with fenders. Mine is too close without the notch,IMO, but it's not on the road yet.

12. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Trust me having Not C notched never sat low enough just not able to get it there with out it...DO IT !!!

13. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

cadillacoffin - Thanks for the pictures, that makes it very clear.

14. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My '29 on Deuce rails doesn't have a notch, but it kisses the bumpstop harder and more often than I would like. If I blow it apart again, I think a notch is definitely on my list.

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I used a 40 rear crossmember flattened, and notched mine. Used the boxing plate kit that fits inside the rails sold here in the classifieds from Wolf's metal fabrications.

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      219.2 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      171.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

big duece - thanks for the pictures, nice work. I've got some boxing plates I got in a package deal - frame rails, plates & front crossmember. I think the plates are ASC, I narrowed them for step boxing. Now I just need to hunt through my scrap metal and find a piece to make the C notch.

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

IMHO,
    It is better to have the notch and not need it than not have it and NEED IT.

[​IMG]

My 32 3W frame is notched ( above ) and the rear axle gets up into the notch area ... and my coupe is not all that LOW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My coupe would hit IF the frame was not notched. :eek:

18. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Nice spring set up,we done a 37 chevy some time ago simular to yours

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

We C-notch F&R every deuce frame we build. On some of them depending on how they sit I use a short bullet shaped rubber bumper from HELP products tucked up in the notch. Helps take that teeth rattling shock away if it should ever bottom out!

20. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Thanks guys. Now I know what I need to work on this weekend.

21. deuce354

deuce354

Nobodys cars sat better than Barry Lobecks, He buildt my chassis 15 yrs ago using a C-Notch, I always valued his opinion, and it has worked out well