Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Rear bumper overider ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plmczy, Apr 2, 2009.

1. plmczy

plmczy

I want to smooth off the rear decklid on my tudor sedan so that means I need to relocate my plate to the bumper. I'm looking for something off the wall, I'm kinda on a budget so the packard and the early 50's chevy are out of the picture. Any suggestions? Thanks, later shawn

2. Squablow

Squablow

What kind of car is this going on? Have a picture of it?

3. plmczy

plmczy

This is going on a 40 dodge tudor sedan. This pic I got from a hamber here on the board from canada, but this shows how my car looks sans the bumper. I thought of going the frenched liscence plate route but alot of people said that was to street rodderish.
    [​IMG]

4. 'Mo

'Mo

Frenching plates (often under glass) is a custom trick that dates back at least to the early forties, so if you like the look, go for it.

[​IMG]

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you can get a 49 chevy front license gaurd for about 100 bucks +-.

never been a fan of frenched license plates. the one in the photo above is not an improvement in my opinion,, dude should have mounted it where his club plaque is.

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I looked for a photo of just the rear of Big Olds but I'm at work and only have what's on Photobucket available right now. I do believe Big Olds has a Caddy license plate surround

[​IMG]

Also, Earl Schieb and Roadstar reworked the rear bumper brackets to allow the bumper to sit closer to the body and lower a bit the of course reworked the splashpan/gravel guard to fit.

This is a good side view I just found
    [​IMG]

Here's the one on my Chevy, I really never realized it before but I guess I've had the same taste in License plate surrounds for quite awhile.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  7. phat rat

phat rat

plmczy, Why do you feel the need for one? It be a clean look without one. This is the rear on my cpe. Denice that looks like a Chev guard.

Attached Files:

8. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

9. plmczy

plmczy

Phat rat, how is that attached to your bumper? Is that plate frame made specifically for bumper mounting? Sorry for the stupid questions, first time build of something this old and style. Thanks,later shawn

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It is, from a HAMB guy in Canada, cuz Big Olds didn't have one and the area really needed one to finish it off. We used about 1/3 of the original size.

11. phat rat

phat rat

Used two pieces of round bar stock, ground them to a curve to match the curvature of the bumper, drilled and tapped them to bolt from the backside of the bumper, welded about a 6" piece of flat stock to the other end of each one, the flat stock has two holes drilled and tapped to hold the plate. Then these were chromed and a piece of 1/8-3/16 aluminum flat stock cut for license plate backing then just a plate surround with a light at the top

12. plmczy

plmczy

Thanks for the help Phat rat. Denise what ever happened to your chevy? I remember that car when I first joined here. later shawn

13. phat rat

phat rat

That looks pretty much stock size. Certainly more than 1/3 size

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Lost to a shop fire in July of 2000. Lighting hit the building and burned to the ground.:(

Not even close to stock, in the photo it might look like an illusion. Mike made a cardboard template of the curvature of the rollpan then used the portion of the splashguard that had the stamped design in it. Not sure exactly off the top of my head how many inches he cut off but I do know we moved the bumper in almost 8 inches. If the car was hear I'd measure it but I think the splashpan is about 4 inches, it's pretty narrow now....and of course I could be off an inch here or an inch there it has been over 4 years since it was done.

15. phat rat

phat rat

Being as this is about bumper over rides and you didn't say otherwise it seemed that you were saying the license guard was 1/3 size from stock. That's what I was refering to