Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear Axle recommendations '40 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Snipe, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Snipe

Snipe

My coupe's banjo rear end is getting noisey. I'm in the planning stage to replace it. The car is powered by a 276 c.i. flathead, two strombergs, slightly lumpy cam and a T-5 transmission. Rear tires are 29" diameter. I want to update the rear end and install parallel leaf springs. I would appreciate your opinions on which axle to use, what gear ratio and any other tips you may have. Obviously excessive power is not an issue with the flathead but I do like to run it in local antique drags occasionaly.
    I've done a lot of reading of old posts and it seems the ford 8 or 9 inch are good candidates but, I'm open to others as well. Recommendations for donor cars/trucks also much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Snipe

2. TERPU

TERPU

Halibrand QC would be the first choice, then stock Banjo, third would be the 9" ford. Parrallell leafs will be the way to go if you plant the 9" in there it'll make it easier and there's alot of kits for that. But the Banjo will look alot better and do the same thing with no extra fabrication needed.

Tim

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

1957-9 Ford passenger car rear is the right width (about 57.5, if I recall correctly). Brakes up to 1966 or so will fit, or there are disk setups available. I suspect that the axles could be drilled for a 5.5 bolt circle, if you really feel like that is needed. Depending on the first gear and OD ratio of your T5, I'd think a rear gear between 3.70 and 4.11 would work pretty well.

4. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

I've got a 8 inch ford out of a Granada under my 39 sedan 3.00 gear 4 speed 331 sbc .It has been there since 1990 with know problems .29 tall tire 70mph is 2350 rpm.

5. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

keep the banjo and get Hot Rod Works axle kits I put them in mine and it worked great

6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Am running a '57 9 inch with a 3.25 and tall rubber. 65 mph is right at 2300 on the tach. 255's fill the wheel well real nice.

7. derpr

derpr

chassis engneering has a kit where you can use a 69-74 nova rear end no mods, i even used the driveshaft in mine.

8. Early broncos have 9in rears that are the correct width and are still 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern. We installed a 99 explorer 8.8 in my dads 41 tudor. We just used the Chassis Engineering kit for a ford rear. His has discs, 3:73, locker and 31 spline axles, it should take all the punisment his built sbf puts out. My first choice (funds permitting) would be to use a halibrand quick change with modern style axles.
    Matt