Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear axle housing swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordguy78, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I was wondering if anyone knew if a 9 inch housing from a 61-64 Galaxie will fit under a 1965 Ford F100 without altering the spring perches. I know the shock mounts are different and putting the car rearend in the truck will put it on top of the springs but I just need to know if the spring perch to spring perch measurement is the same.

2. aaggie

aaggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if the distance is the same but moving spring perches is not very difficult or expensive. You can reuse the origional perches if you cut them off carefully and new ones should be less than $20/pair.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, for one thing, the Galaxie perches are on the bottom of the axle housing and I believe the F100 perches are on top. So, even if the spacing were correct, it wouldn't be of much benefit.

You may have a further problem with this swap, depending on what you want to run for wheels, as the truck has 5 on 5 1/2" wheel bolt pattern and the Galaxie is 5 on 4 1/2". U-joint may also be different..........

None of these things are insurmoutable if there are other good reasons for using the Galaxie housing.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Another big difference between pickup and car 9" rearends is the passenger car has a centered pinion, the F100 has the pinion offset 4.25" to the pass side.