Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical rear axle breather problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Maicobreako, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

I couldn't get any air to pass thru this breather/vent. so I removed it and can't really see what's inside. Is there a check ball of sorts or just a tiny opening that maybe rusted shut? It's on a Ford 8'' .
    Thanks in advance.
    CIMG4766.JPG
    CIMG4767.JPG

2. On my Dana 60 the vent got clogged. I sprayed it with brake cleaner and blew it out until the check ball was free.

Truck64 likes this.
  3. just a small hole through the center, use some cleaner as suggested and poke it with a wire

4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I have a Ford 9" (source 1986 F150) where the vent hole was not drilled all the way through. The axle seals would seep. I finally got a clue when I removed the filler plug and heard air escape. Took me a while to find it, both ends were drilled, so it looked OK. I ended up chucking it in a vice and drilling out about 1/4" to connect the holes. Must be a Monday vehicle...

Model A Vette and Truck64 like this.

5. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

I did spray carb cleaner and blew with air hose, to no avail.

6. No check ball in mine. I'd poke a piece of wire into it and if it doesn't go through,take it off and drill that sucker.

7. You may have a different issue than I had. I poked a wire in the hole to break up the packed in junk. I alternated back and forth spraying poking and blowing the vent. It took some time to get it cleaned out. I was surprised how much was packed in and how hard it was to clean out.

8. evintho

evintho

I cleaned it out on my 8" and added a 90* hose to keep any outside debris from clogging it back up.

[​IMG]

oliver westlund likes this.
  9. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

he alternated spraying, poking and blowing..... :D:eek::oops:o_O

bobss396 and Mr48chev like this.
  10. At least I didn't say the dirty vent.

razoo lew likes this.
  11. nugget32

nugget32

just a hole thru the housing on my 58 ford 9"

Sent from my Chromebook 11 Model 3180 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. nugget32

nugget32

sorry a threaded hole, NPT threads

Sent from my Chromebook 11 Model 3180 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I think all of my Fords have had a tiny hole, maybe 1/16", and no check ball.

14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thru the shop at work I've actually ran into maybe half a dozen thru the last 40 yrs that wasn't drilled all the way thru.

Ran them thru the parts washer, brake clean them wire, no luck. Shine a light thru them and no hole. Just drilled and reinstalled.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In the early 70's I bought a set of factory sbc pushrods, one of the ball inserts had not been drilled all the way through, burned it up and turned the rocker arm blue.
    With the large number of mass produced items it doesn't surprise me that a few slip through unfinished.

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

After you get it opened up , go to the junk yard and look ,there's normally a hose that runs from that fitting up to a spot on the floor or frame that has a plastic cap affair connected to it to keep junk out , same fitting is used on some 4x4 transfer cases ....

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have done many 8 and 9 inch Fords , all were drilled straight through and had a hose connecting to them that went up out of the way of road debris . I have never see a Ford with any kind of check valve inside the vent . Maybe I just haven’t ran across one yet . Anyway you look at it the axle has to vent or you will have a leaker for sure

18. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

Soaked it for a day, drilled 1/16'' thru the crap/rust , then worked up to 1/8'' , at 5/32'' started to drill steel. Will definitely run hose to a clean spot, maybe add a filter.

Thanks to all.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.