Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear '48 wishbone broken....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodderbilly, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Hi all….so many of us build rods with open drive and '48 banjo and wishbones.Sure i know that many,like me, broken wishbones where they bolt on drums or just in the last rear part …...someone of you know who sell this part?i know front wishbone parts are for sale, but for the rear ones?nothing?can you help me ?thanks

2. alchemy

alchemy

You just need a replacement wishbone? Try the classifieds here on the HAMB. You could place a wanted advert if there are none for sale right now.

But be aware that since it broke once, it might break again. Maybe a better design would be called for? If the wishbones point to he middle of the car, then maybe a ladder bar setup like a Pete and Jake's would last longer.

anothercarguy and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  3. Your song is very familiar with the Open Drive Banjo crowd. That's asking for service above and beyond the Factory design ability.

X38, jackandeuces and Hollywood-East like this.
  4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Watch the want ads!!!
    That's the number 1 scam on this site!
    They prey on are Need's...
    Good Luck

5. I've got rear wish bones if you need them

6. New radius rods and torque arm needed.

Tman likes this.
  7. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

[QUOTE=".... broken wishbones where they bolt on drums or just in the last rear part …...[/QUOTE]

Could you post some nice detailed pictures or where the parts break, and both sides of the broken surface?

thanks,

Dan T

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

i put an open drive rear in a model T years ago, and both wishbones cracked in an exact straight line with the U joint. i presume thats where the torque wants to twist the rear

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've seen people use the wishbone as the bottom of a ladder bar, the upper tube keeps the rear end from trying to torque when you gas it. The torque stops this on the stock rear end, the wishbone isn't designed to control the torque.

10. Just as the rest said, your current wishbones are not designed to handle the torque. You need an upper arm of some sort to help deal with the torque.
    Replacing with the same wishbones will result in the same cracks in the future.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tman and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  11. It's not just torque. The closed drive let the chassis rotate at the ball end of the tube fastened to the trans. The radieus rods did nothing but keep the Bells from traveling for and aft, a gusset if you will. They were not fastened to the Frame at all. Now you have them trying to limit the chassis roll while fastened static on both ends. They are Not torsion bars. The twist factor is as deadly as the torque. It's a no win deal.

X38 likes this.