Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reaming kingpin bushings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildbill29tudor, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Does anyone know where I can buy a reaming tool for my 28-48 king pins?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Take them to your local automotive machine shop and have them honed on a Sunnen machine

3. McMaster Carr has a good selection.....

4. gold03

gold03

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

xxx2222

6. You want to get a guide for the reamer also so the bushes are true or you will waste them.That is if you are going to do it yourself.

7. oldolds

oldolds

I would guess Carpenter or Drake. If it is a one time deal for you, the machine shop could be as cheap.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Since I maybe only do one set every 4 or 5 years, I take mine to the local machine shop like others suggested. I think I pay about $ 50 and they are done right. It is just one more tool I don't want to own or job I don't want to do.

Don

9. I personally prefer to do as much on my cars as I can. I had used a standard reamer for years and built my own centering collet (less than $20) till I found an old kingpin reamer set at a yard sale. If doing only 1 or 2 cars, yea, might be easier to pay someone to do it, past that, I do my own.

10. I just had mine done by the local auto machine shop for $30.

11. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

I bought one made for this application on Ebay years ago for $20. Works just like the one I have for VW king pins. It came with the tool to drive in the bushings.

[​IMG]

12. 117harv

117harv

13. Mac's auto sell a good one.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm taking my '40 clutch and brake pedals along at the same time to have the bushings honed. Bob :)

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

...and tell the machinist to heed the specs! The idiot in this one horse town insisted the 'specs' were too tight. I dropped the king pin thru the first one, and told him "Never mind the second!"

Tried the honed one on my axle...spindle slop was loose enough to 'do the king pin job'. Again.

But the Sunnen machine is the best. No error. (operator dependent)

16. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks like one i bought from jc whitney years ago. i found it just easier to take 'em to a machinist.

17. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I dont know i use one like the one above. It works great for me. I wont buy those new spindles with the bushings already in them again. One got loose real quick and when i finally got the bushing out someone must have bored the hole to big and then decided to slap a bunch of mig weld in it and drill it again.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd do what Pete suggested. The cost minimal and you get a lot better fit than trying to hog them out with a reamer at home. If you have them all scrubbed up and the bushings pressed in correctly with the grease holes lined up right (a must) so they don't have to press the bushings in they can usually hone the bushings on both spindles in less than ten minutes start to finish. You do need to take the king pins with you as they have to measure them to figure out the clearance needed.

19. elba

elba

Have them honed like Eastwood said. Much better fit.