Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Really screwed up yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Apr 12, 2022.

1. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

I'm a freaking idiot and pissed beyond explanation. Backing my trailer into the driveway attempting to get close to the house for some welding on the trailer. Talking on the phone and backing in....bang! Backed into my 34 five window and I went ballistic on myself for being so stupid. Custom pearl based paint and way expensive. Now do I turn it into insurance or do I suck it up and fork over the coin out of pocket? Dents in the gas tank cover so tempted to buy a new panel and have it painted hoping the shop still has the paint formula. Surely I am not alone in the dumber than a box of rocks club.

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Depending on your deductible I think I'd replace panel and paint and not take the hit incase the insurance company tried to raise your premiums.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's said to write things out when frustrated.

4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

As much as you want to, don't beat yourself up over it. That sounds about as honest a mistake as anyone could have made. Have heard a lot worse over the years and have done a few such like over the years. Was in a hurry to pull a gas tank out of my attic I wanted to sell and dropped it on the tail fin of my car and crushed the trim and left a big dent under it. Good thing the neighbour's annoying cat wasn't around cause I probably would of drop kicked it into the next block.

5. Years ago my father was visiting us from California. I rented a car for his use while he was visiting. I forgot the car was in my driveway when I was in a hurry to go to work. I backed right into it and wiped out the nose of the rental car. It was an expensive car rental for me.

6. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

My wife accidentally backed into my son's '65 Mustang, and 10yrs. later backed into my car
    parked in the same spot. No one parks there anymore, just in case..stuff happens, and life
    does go on, usually within 24hrs and a good night's sleep.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Sorry to hear that. Just a week ago I backed my forty out of my garage right into my buddies 3/4 ton truck. I was lucky all it did was bend my bumper and knock his license plate holder off his bumper. After a little bit of panic and a check to see how much a new bumper would cost I settled down. I removed the bumper from the car formed rounded a piece of 2x4 to fit the shape of the back side of the bumper and carefully pressed the the curve out of the bumper with my HF hydraulic press. Now you wouldn't know I made such a bone head move, the bumper is good as new. we were able to reattach my buddies license plate holder to his bumper too and all is well.

During my original panic I was wondering if i should turn the $ 400.00 cost of a new bumper over to insurance. I decided not to. It is sad that we pay so much for insurance but are afraid to use it because we fear higher rates or worse yet cancellation.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It’s only money, shit happens…. you’ll get over it you may have to do a few mixes and spray outs to get a real close match. Sounds like it might be a tough color to duplicate. Good luck

dirt t, Stogy, Flathead Dave and 3 others like this.
  9. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I’ve done a whole lot dumber shit than that man! Don’t beat yourself up over it so bad. I probably wouldn’t run it through insurance. Get a panel or straighten that one and get it painted. At least it’s not part of the actual body that you would have to blend.

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Nope that’s one hell of a fuck up, glad I’ve never done something like that…

wheeldog57, Boneyard51, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no pissed off like being pissed off at yourself because no matter where you go, there you are.

I had a new Saab 9000 Aero. I installed a basketball goal for my kids over the weekend. Monday morning I backed out of the garage and scraped the whole PS rear quarter. I've dropped shit on my Plymouth and had to have a fender painted and I did the same on my 48 Buick. It happens. You finally get over it. Sorry for your accident.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  12. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Thats not bad, you want screwups I have 2 ex-wifes.

13. Boy am I glad that I am perfect and have never made any mistakes....whew...:rolleyes:

14. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Just remember it could always be worse! 11B8603C-B833-4C81-8B46-1B41CE44FBA6.jpeg

15. I can't say anything that will make you fell better about what happened but I am sure there is a lesson learned, put the phone down!

This is why you have insurance, hopefully it will cover the damage done, good luck. HRP

WB69, Al T, chopnchaneled and 11 others like this.
  16. I am very sorry to hear of the mishap. I know how you feel. Last year on March 20 I railed my Model A drag coupe through my shop wall. I know it is hard , but be easy on yourself. This kind of thing happens to more of us then you would think.

17. Get a quote from a shop, compare it to how much your excess would be, and ask the insurance company how much (if any) your premium would go up by, and work it out. Either way it will cost you, that part you can't escape.
    Everyone stuffs up, just sometimes instead of a lot of little ones, they team up together and become a big one.
    "Never leave a shorting link in your neutral safety switch, leave your trans in R, start the engine and run into the shed door" - Ancient Chinese proverb

Fitty Toomuch, Stogy, twenty8 and 3 others like this.
  18. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Had a '40 Plymouth that I put a sbc and PG into. Got everything going and had it in the driveway
    idling nicely when I decided to go get a screwdriver and set the needle valves. Got out of the car,
    fumbled through my tool chest for the screwdriver and heard the motor speed decrease...geez, I thought,
    it's going to stall out, then the sound became more faint, not necessarily lower. Turned out the coupe slipped
    into reverse, went across the street and hit my neighbors tree. Broke the rotor, had to scramble to get
    it started and back in my driveway before anyone saw what happened. Felt pretty dumb, but I was
    thankful no one got hurt, except my pride. I still laugh about it today and that was 50yrs ago. Bob

19. Me too! But I have outlived both.

Ben

20. raaf

raaf

When I was a teenager...had an off topic car jacked up in the driveway and was servicing something under the front wheel. Mom's car was in the garage, mine was behind hers in the driveway. She asked me to move mine so she could leave. Applied some light cranks to tighten the lug nuts and moved the car.

I then went on to trip out on whatever else I was distracted by that day and like any teenager forgot about anything I'd done prior.

Girl called, I hopped in the car to go meet her somewhere.

Started off on the freeway and heard something like a gunshot which I think was a lug nut firing off and hitting the side of the car. Had to pull over, jack up the car and redistribute remaining lug nuts from the other wheels to get the loose wheel tight enough to meet my girl.

Oh, and ever forget to put an oil cap back on?

Shamefully, the list is endless. Give it some time.

VANDENPLAS, mad mikey, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

I'm more amazed how many people carry full coverage insurance on cars that don't have a loan against them! If I crash and its my fault,I deserve to pay for the repair-if it's your fault,you'll be paying for it-if you aren't carrying liability to pay for my car,you're going to jail

VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 49ratfink like this.
  22. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Only one person suggested putting the phone down? It could have been much, much worse, but people don't get it.

WB69, clem, mad mikey and 9 others like this.
  23. indyjps

indyjps

Talk to insurance agent, not the call center, ask what the deductible and premium increase will be and compare it against out of pocket. Talk to your body shop and see what they'll charge. If its a custom blend, lot of time involved - it may be worth taking the the insurance hit.

I've wrecked enough stuff, never met an insurance guy that won't go over the options with you. It's not like they're jumping at the chance to do a claim versus working on new business.

Texas57 likes this.
  24. goldmountain

goldmountain

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

25. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Same here!o_O

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had several incidents over the years with my old cars and to date have chosen to absorb the cost of repair. Personally I've thought why penalize my insurance company and to save a claim for something big. Probably a dumb idea as what do you pay insurance for?

Stogy likes this.
  27. My advice is to start drinking heavily. Remember, I’m in PreMed!

28. Be sure to tell the insurance company
    " You were on the phone "
    Just be happy it wasn't one of your kids or neighbours kid .
    Cheap lesson learned !!!

29. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Sounds like a lot of self inflicted injuries here.

30. Boatmark

Boatmark

Damn, reminded me of a screw up from long ago.

Drove up in front of my apt. in the middle of the day. I was on the phone so I sat in the truck finishing the call. Truck was running to keep A/C going. Five speed truck in neutral with foot on brake.

Finished call, hopped out, and went inside. Forgot to put truck in gear and / or set parking brake. Came out an hour later . . . .

Truck had rolled back across the parking lot, picked up speed, went into the grass down a small hill and punched a tree. Pushed bumper into quarter. Bent the bumper, tailgate, quarter panel, and trailer hitch.

It was both stupid and expensive. . . . .

mad mikey, Fitty Toomuch and Stogy like this.