Register now to get rid of these ads!

Really cheap louvres.....free even

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1320Paul, May 14, 2007.

1. 1320Paul

1320Paul

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, I can't post in the tech archive. I replace alot of old furnaces at my job, some funky green ones from the 50's and 60's quite often, and most of the front burner cover doors have louvres punched in them for combustion air. Sometimes up to 30 or more. I'm sure alot of guys here know someone in the heating business that would be happy to save a louvred door or two to hand over since they all otherwise go for scrap. Just a thought.

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Interesting idea. Have any dimensions and/or pics of these panels?

3. 1320Paul

1320Paul

Dimensions vary, maybe 12x24 inches for some, up to 24x36 for bigger furnaces. All flat panels though. Somebody must have used one on a rod somewhere before. I think it would add to the cool and innovative factor a bit.

4. 1320Paul

1320Paul

Sorry no pics right now, I'll take the digital along with me to work if I come across one.

5. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That's kinda like using the louvered panels off of a swamp cooler.

6. Locker doors, too.

7. They would also make GREAT pinstriping panels. Just shoot 'em candy, flake, pearl or whatever and stripe 'em or have 'em striped and hang 'em on a wall.:cool:

8. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

I have a buddy who does HVAC. I never thought of this before. I'll have to ask him to keep an eye out for some scrap.

9. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I used one as a back panel for my licence plate. It was off of a washing machine. Trimmed it down and the louvers fit perfect.

BR

10. Lessee . . . if you cut a rectangular hole with rounded corners in the hood side then made a step with a flanging tool then welded some short studs to the louver plate then bolted the fits-just-right louver plate in place?

It might look kinda cool and sorta aircraft like.

Three - four rows of vertical louvers mounted vertically in the recessed opening - sorta 30's era Chevy - would look cool as well.
    Provided you could find a louver plate with louvers oriented correctly.

Chrome plating the louvers would be a nice touch....

11. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

320art.com- Thats a great tech tip! im glad you posted it. When you are serious about Rods, you can find some really cool stuff for them just by looking!

Nice find, im sure alot of people can use it.

12. fuzzface

fuzzface

I brought a cushman 3-wheel scooter where you sat above the engine that was missing the side covers. I made covers out of louvered panels off of a old ice machine. Steve

13. stan292

stan292

art-

Good idea. Thanks for the heads up.

P.S. You must not make the swap meets. I see various types of louvered panels at swaps all the time. It's not uncommon for sellers to try and pass them off as genuine parts (deuce hood panels, etc.) just to jack the price.

14. 1320Paul

1320Paul

I never thought about using the doors for pinstriping, they're the perfect size for that, would look great on a wall. I never thought of chroming them either, 99% of the doors I see are untouched and perfect, that would look sweet. Hey stan292, not too many swap meets up in my parts, maybe I could start a sideline selling furnace doors, just kidding. Geez when I think of all the furnaces we dumped for scrap it's kinda sad but there are thousands out there. My favorites are the old bastards that are blue-green in color, kinda like Voodoo Larry's 28 Dodge Voodoo Diablo ride. I'll try to get some pics of the ancient ones I come across.

15. OLLIN

OLLIN

this is a cool idea. I was maybe thinking about making a tonnaeu (sp.) cover for my pickup bed with louvers..

16. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

i thought about the same thing till my boss showed me the louver press we have at work.

17. 1320Paul

1320Paul

Finally got a couple shots of some old furnace parts. The blue and silver pieces are from a furnace dated 1955, the red pieces are from the 60's I think. I'm sure you guys could figure out what to use them for, maybe some kinda instrument cluster??

Attached Files: